Side knock pencil

I don’t know if it’s a 100% marketing trick or they were actually considered practical at the time. The first product of Mitsubishi ‘Pentimer’ line released in 1980 priced at 30k yen(was later lowered to 24k), with no other functions except showing time. Its secondary flagship, simply replaced golden with silvery, however, the price dropped to 12k yen.

But since then, probably due to technological iterations, their pricing has basically dropped to around 6k yen, and some added alarm clock or hourly chime(with beeping or several melody)

6 Likes

Is there any clue? Platinum released ‘Writing Watch’ in '80, Pilot released ‘Quartz Pen’ in '82. Their clock part doesn’t looks identical, as for the supplier of this part, I don’t know

edit later: Pilot released Digital Quartz Pen at the end of 1979, priced at 20k/18k

1 Like

30k in 1980 for a precious metal plated mechanical pencil seems seriously absurd. No wonder why the price came down so far.

1 Like

Pentel had several in the ¥10K+ range in that time period, culminating in 1992 with the AYP301 Aya.
PXE105 ¥10K Silver Plated
PXN105 ¥10K Silver Plated
PXE155 ¥15K Silver Plated w/ Gold Trim
PXE205 ¥20K Gold Plated
PXN205 ¥20K Gold Plated
AYP301 ¥30K Intertwined Gold and Silver thread

I don’t have any of these, but I do have the accompanying pen to the AYP301, which I am calling the AYB301.

2 Likes

Look at the lower portion of the barrels on both—etching/processing is identical. Platinum didn’t do this on any other Pencil, but Pilot certainly did.

Hence, I think Pilot—or else a mutual white-label manufacturer like Ohirra—was responsible for these pieces.

I found something identical

Not metal nevermind

2 Likes

Are you sure its Pentel and not kokuyo?

I’m surprised to see “0.5” in the same font (Peignot) as on the Pentel P205.

Yeah, I’m not really sure. Knockologist claims its pentel but then again it doesnt look like the ebay seller really knows what they are selling.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just for referance, I haven’t seen one related offical catalog, this is from a 3rd party magazine
(Don’t take the price mentioned here seriously, sometimes it’s just a dealer price)

10 Likes

do you know what year?

1 Like

I can’t tell, these images were downloaded 1 year ago, I can’t find the source now. But other products it mentioned can give us some idea.

H-585, in '81, Pn3015, in '82, while Newman went out of business in '84

2 Likes

A true mystery indeed

This is one of the best things I’ve ever seen in pencildom :exploding_head:

6 Likes

Beautiful mess!

2 Likes

These magazines shown here were mainly published around '80 to '85. They’re quite cheap and not hard to find on the market today, but I won’t expect them to be of much research value, they are more of entertaining readings. Next time when I buy pens from Japan, maybe I’ll take some.

11 Likes

I would absolutely LOVE to have these.

3 Likes

Looks like I’m once again visiting one of those landing pages from the now-defunct Leadholdercom website: wherever I look, I find pencils I want — or didn’t know/had forgotten existed.

Über-cool stuff!

3 Likes