Side knock pencil

Hello,

Looking for help trying to find a side knock mechanical pencil. I lost it 12 years ago and since then I been trying to find a replacement without luck.

Pencil description: it was a metal body, silver color side knock pencil. And at the end of the pencil, it had some kind of word count or watch built in it, (it was broken when I got it and was trying to fix it).

If anyone can give me any leads where to find a similar mechanical pencil. Would be very appreciated

Thank you

2 Likes

Did it have a button on the side or was it a body knock, meaning you bend the body to push out the lead?

2 Likes

Sorry about that, it is a body knock

1 Like

Hey no worries.

Did it look anything like this?

2 Likes

Yes!!!

2 Likes

These in the photo are called the Pentel Windom. You can sometimes find them on eBay, Mercari (Japan), and Yahoo! Japan auctions.

3 Likes

I was not aware Pentel had a body knock! It looks similar to rotring’s but without the display.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for all your help!!

1 Like

You bet! Have a great day!

Note that a few other brands made these. KOKUYO from Japan and rOtring from Germany.

Here’s a rOtring example, up for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115372374728

1 Like

Did they also provide them with the digital clock?

I am not sure. I’ve never seen a rOtring with a built-in clock, though.

1 Like

Neither I. That’s why I suggested the Pentel. @pearsonified may know if anyone else has a body knock with a digital clock.

1 Like

Those clocks take very tiny LR41 batteries, usually 2 of them… and they last about 1 year. More of a novelty than practicality…

1 Like

Please don’t get it as mockery, but I think about the mentioned word count feature … With the KT mechanism this should be possible, right? At least for writing in cursive script – I think it would be a fun feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was my in the meantime replacement pencil

1 Like

The Windom is one of Pentel’s most generic offerings—the same pencil appears in Kokuyo’s and rOtring’s body-knock lineups.

I assume the only reason Pentel greenlit this pencil is because their version was noticeably different from those offered by Kokuyo and rOtring; namely, Pentel’s version included a digital clock.

As far as I know, this is the only body-knock pencil with a clock.

Interestingly, the “pencils with clocks” era now looks like a brief marketing frenzy in hindsight. Pilot produced versions for itself and for Platinum (same basic chassis with Pilot’s best-in-class precision etching), and you really don’t see much of this from the major OEMs in any other category of pencil.

4 Likes

A bit like those massive wrist watches with a calculator keyboard.

I can only curse myself for not having had one!

(well I was too young in 80s, it was something that you’d see in engineering students which were 10-15 years older than I was)

2 Likes

Yeah, there was definitely a short-lived “rage” period where all of these LCD pen-clock models came out. Zebra, PILOT, Platinum, and even Sailor – these big name brands all made pen-clock models. Some even have tiny buttons so you can alternate between time and date, even seconds. Others just show time. There’s usually a flush mounted button for pressing with a tooth pick or pen tip, to put in setting mode.

1 Like

Or maybe it does come true one day? :mask: UNI actually has released patent on writing amount counting device, based on kurutoga…

But even though recent UNI purchase announcement mentioned the issue of dealing with future digital inputs, I still don’t believe this could be serious patent. These attempts are more like they’re proving that traditional industry can still have a place in the future era, rather than become future industry itself