Name that PENCIL or PEN [12]

At last, the long-awaited (??) follow up to Name that PENCIL or PEN [11], prompted by the ongoing discussion about fineliner pencils from manufacturers whose output was predominately of the leadholder variety.

I won’t give any more clues for the time being, as there is probably enough to chew on here already.

6 Likes

A.W. Faber? Borrowing the grip style of the 9800SG 2mm holder?

Not Faber-Castell, but I see what you mean about the 9800SG. Both also have a hexagonal barrel above the grip.

2 Likes

My feeling is its one of the lesser known German brands such as Dahle, Lyra, Stabilo…

None of those I’m afraid. Keep up the good guesses though!

1 Like

It reminded me of this pencil of mine that is either Stabilo or Swan/Schwan because it has a swan on the clip

That was going to be my initial contribution but it seems that’s not correct

Otherwise, since I think you’re sticking to the “predominantly” aspect of the description I was going for then I’d guess Kohinoor/Bohemia Works/Hardtmuth

1 Like

Is that the uchida DAS-5??

The juxtaposition of a hexagonal barrel and a round grip area is very common among Koh-I-Noor models, even though the grip style does not entirely fit — I would have expected a knurled section.

Also, the grooves there remind me of a relatively more modern pencil — something along the lines of a Xeno CX — but that would contradict the premise of a predominantly-leadholder-oriented manufacturer.

Which, by the way, calls for a precise definition of what @Alan means by “predominantly”: I agree with @DarkwingDuck that KIN does make mostly clutch pencils with 2.00mm lead cores, but the same cannot be said for e.g. Faber-Castell, rOtring, or Staedtler, probably, because the number of lineups in the thin-lead department has slowly caught up with their original 2.00mm series, and i now thinks it is more of a 50/50 split.

2 Likes

You’re right that it isn’t Stabilo or Schwan, although your pencil has some interesting similarities.

Also not KIN/Hardtmuth; I can’t even think of a fineliner of theirs, but I’m sure there must be one.

It’s not obviously by Uchida either, though I suppose they could have made it for the company in question.

I almost hope that someone can recognise the OEM behind this pencil, as I’m fairly certain it was not manufactured by the company selling it (to be fair, the same can be said of most fineliners sold by rotring, F-C, Staedtler, etc.)

1 Like

Koh-I-Noor 5617; very weird one, but an interesting piece nonetheless.

Also, KIN 5619 “Very Fine” from the Versatil series.

KIN 5626 0.9 would count

The combination of barrel and grip section also reminds me of at least one model I saw from Criterium (i.e. Conte-Gilbert-Blanzy-Poure), but that one was a 2.00mm clutch pencil — model no. 2013, if I remember correctly.

I wonder whether this is the thin-lead variant.

As for the definition of a primarily leadholder-oriented maker, I was just taking my cue from the brands featured in the post that reminded me of this particular pencil (CdA, the various incarnations of Criterium makers, F-C and Fedra).

I am, however, quite certain that the firm behind this mystery pencil had a product range that was almost entirely made up of leadholders (2 mm) and propelling pencils (1.18 mm) for most of its history. This is the only fineliner I know of.

I say “history”, but the company is still around in a manner of speaking, under its original name. Just not really in the pencil business any more.

1 Like

Charvoz?

Thank you for the KIN fineliner references - I was not aware of these. I notice that the 5619 (like most fineliners) was made in Japan.

This sounds like a significant clue; a pity I do not know enough about company profiles and their changes in missions and visions.

I was thinking about some American company (Dixon, Berol?), or possibly a UK brand, but my brain is too mushy to process any serious idea right now. Will follow the thread, though: it is a promise of some great story to read and enjoy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not Charvoz either.

I’m going to drop a (big?) clue and reveal that this was a British pencil maker.

1 Like

You were already heading in the right direction!

I’m very excited to hear who, I don’t know much about the British manufacturers.

I get to add another to my search

1 Like