Name that PENCIL or PEN [12]

Well, let me try again then, assuming it is a UK-based manufacturer:

• Shaffers’ is still around, I think, still making pencils. Same story for Yard-O-led.
• Samson-Mordan seems too old
• Maybe Conway-Stewart? Or Helix? They make, or made, school supplies, and perhaps a line of mechanical pencils…
• I also thought about Derwent, I bought one of their fineliners once, but the non-removable clip made it leave my inventory pretty soon — and I thought that one was their first and only attempt at MP’s (and was different from that picture, I am sure).

I think I know the Derwent model you mean, and I didn’t warm to it either. Unfortunately, it is none of those.

The firm in question did make quite a few models of clutch pencil for the drafting market, and I think even this mystery fineliner was possibly designed with drafting in mind, as it has a hexagonal barrel (to prevent rolling) and no clip.

2 Likes

Cumberland maybe.

Two more names popping up are Perry and Wolff’s & sons, but I think this is my last shot in the dark, and I am afraid they are too old for the plastic age.

Will look into the matter again tomorrow, if no one comes up with a solution. I like this game.

Not Cumberland, and none of the big Victorian-era names. This was a 20th century company.

I will also wait until tomorrow, as it is getting late here. One way or another, all will be revealed!

1 Like

I think Derwent was the only English maker of a 0.5 mm pencil..

British.

Rexel?

Eagle. Originally from the US, but they had a UK outfit and are primarily known for holders.

Oh so close! Keep going….

It can’t be Conté because Criterium has already been mentioned; it can’t be Berol because Eagle has already been mentioned—plus, Berol isn’t British. Has this brand been mentioned on this forum before?

Honestly, I’m just guessing makers at this point, George Rowney & Co? Platignum? Wolff? Scroll?

Colibri?

@DarkwingDuck was practically there with Rexel, so I almost think it would be unfair to ask for the precise brand.

If anyone wants to definitively nail it while I get the photos ready, they can share in the glory.

Now I’m really intrigued

“Derwent is the prestigious British brand of pencils and drawing supplies associated with Rexel.

Derwent is the fine arts and mechanical pencil line of The Cumberland Pencil Company. Both companies became part of the same British corporate group (Rexel / ACCO Brands); consequently, for many years, the professional pencils and mechanical pencils in this range were marketed under the combined names Rexel Cumberland or Rexel Derwent”.

Yes, it came as a surprise to me that the other British 0.5 mm pencil mentioned in this thread - the Derwent Precision - was indirectly a product of the same company.

1 Like

And the answer is… Ofrex!

This mark was the business-oriented side of Rexel (possibly a portmanteau of Office and Rexel?) which had been established in 1939 by George Drexler, originally from Prague.

The Ofrex company itself has been around since at least 1950, with Rexel a retail subsidiary. Most of the mechanical pencils I know of (and there were many) were sold under the Ofrex brand, but there are a few Rexel examples.

In 1980, Ofrex acquired Cumberland Graphics and Cumberland Pencils, including their famous Keswick factory. The following year, Ofrex itself was acquired by Gallaher Ltd, a subsidiary of American Brands Inc, which then shifted focus to the Rexel name. In 1987 the ACCO office supply company was also acquired, and merged with Ofrex/Rexel in 1992 to form ACCO Europe, with Rexel remaining a sub-brand. Rexel now deals primarily in paper shredders, but still sells some general office supplies - sadly no pencils - while the Ofrex brand seems to have been retired.

A handy PDF timeline of the companies can be found here.

The Ofrex 0.5 mm pencil itself is quite an unusual beast, with no other markings beyond those visible in the photo. As mentioned earlier, it has no clip and the central part of the barrel is hexagonal to prevent rolling. The rounded “tail” section gives it an oddly symmetrical look, but the weight distribution is quite nose-heavy, with the balance point around the middle of the word “OFREX”.

The nose cone unscrews to reveal a brass clutch, while the end cap contains a short pink eraser with embedded lead-clearing wire. I can’t disassemble the pencil any further to see the lead tube itself. The smooth metal grip appears to be somehow bonded to the other parts.

I separately acquired a box of Ofrex 0.5 mm lead refills, which I assume are from the same period. The design of the lead boxes is just as quirky as that of the pencil itself, not to mention being quite hefty. The concave sides seem possibly intended to double as a pencil rest, while the internal circular cavity of the box is huge, able to hold up to 72 leads, six times more than the 12 supplied. Unlike the pencil, the lead containers state very clearly that they are from Japan.

This is the only example of the Ofrex pencil I have come across. I assume it was made for them by another company (possibly Japanese), in the same way as the Derwent Precision seems to be a rebranded Deli pencil. As always, any new information would be very welcome.

12 Likes

Besides the Ofrex, I can think of one more. In the late 1960s/early 70s Hellerman sold a rebadged version of the Kent Microsharp:

I brought the three honorary Brits together for a photoshoot:

10 Likes