Name that PENCIL or PEN [12]

The Hellerman is the same as the Kent Microsharp just more rare.

Very nice line up.

Thank you for the history as well!!

I’m curious of the mechanism and dimensions now though because it looks very much like the TM line of Berol just with a metal grip.

Which could also make it a Japan made item.

It gets very blurry on true manufacturers sometimes.

That’s one thing I love about this forum because it’s made me want to track down the variations!

1 Like

Doesn’t Pelikan Blei Machine have the same body as your Berol? There are a couple others as well: Uchida S and W-ABC.

@amjacobs7 yes

But

I also just realized….

It’s a Berol Turquoise TD

which I never put together was so similar to the TM

1 Like

Excellent! I think we are homing in on the answer. The Ofrex 0.5mm definitely seems to be related to these other pencils, and ultimately the Uchida Microsharp S-5 (example on ebay here).

This means that both the Hellerman and Ofrex were made by the Kent/Uchida company, in contrast to the later Derwent which appears to be made in China by Deli.

It seems that right from the beginning of the fineliner era, the majority of pencils sold in Europe and the US under local brand names were actually made in Japan or neighbouring countries.

4 Likes

A name I would have never guessed — even though, after asking the Gods of the Internet for some images of products by UK pencil manufacturers, an image of a box of Ofrex pencil for sale on the Bay popped up, but I was too distracted to notice the unusual name on the box, and I thought it was just the pencil model name, not the brand.

The shape also reminded me of another unusual drafting pencil i spotted lately, but in that case it is a plastic specimen sold in a plastic sleeve with the pocket clip detached, but ready to be hooked on the barrel, and with an accompanying lead case (a basic model, nothing fancy).

This looks like an interesting model for sure; just like the shape of the lead containers: that rounded square section is intriguing. They did put a lot of attention into imperceptible details like that one.

2 Likes

A very interesting thread; I wanted to read the conclusion properly but haven’t had the time—even now, at 9:45 PM, as I’m heading home. The topic of UK manufacturers is fascinating; I even came across two or three I didn’t know about.

So, who does it fall to? I guessed Cumberland! :grinning_face:

The thing about British pencil makers is that almost every firm was eventually swallowed up by a bigger firm until there was nothing left.

It’s like a cross between Reservoir Dogs and Murder on the Orient Express - everyone dunnit!

I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

I can just imagine the Knockology version of Reservoir Dogs - Mr Midnight Blue Metallic, Mr Shadow Purple, etc.

1 Like

I didn’t know this model also came with a case.

There is also a version engraved with “GRAHAM’S MICROTHIN PENCIL.”

Was Kent the manufacturer of these?

3 Likes

I believe Uchida was.

Amazing set btw!

1 Like