What is your holy grail?

Curious to see what everyone’s holy grail mechanical pencil is. For myself, it is the Sakura AT-Matic ATS3000. It’s just a beautiful in design and function. I just wish Sakura produced more of these.

5 Likes

Some things we shouldn’t talk about. Last time I made it clear what my grail was it went for $1300. For a plastic pencil! :joy:

7 Likes

You bring up a good point…but I guess that’s why it’s called a “grail” :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’m totally joking! My last “needed” piece is the PD515-pnp

3 Likes

With a lot of high end Pentels that I don’t have, I could choose from many. But I think I would say it would be the Sterling Silver Scepter.

7 Likes

Mine is probably the Pilot Automatic and the Pilot H-5005, but I don’t really even consider these attainable anymore.

In the realm of “pieces I actually have a chance in hell of getting for under $300,” I’d nominate the Pilot Young double knock and the Pilot Protex double knock.

But then, of course, I’d also have to mention the Pilot Grandee Priere in silver…which also makes me think it was produced in gold (though I’ve never seen one).

And let’s not forget the Mitsubishi Jaguar stainless steel etched double knock, which exists only as a whisper.

Mitsubishi also produced a skeleton + red W-knock I’ve only seen for sale one time (and someone from the MP subreddit bought it and then rehabbed it).

There’s also a Mitsubishi copper executive double knock that shows up from time to time, but I haven’t been able to snag a decent specimen yet. It’s not particularly expensive, but it is particularly badass.

And finally, my collection won’t be complete until I score the Pentel W-knock.

The saddest part about all this? There are probably quite a few others I’m forgetting :joy:

6 Likes

And on the lower end, I need to find what I call in the book Unknown Model 08, which is an early Matt Black with Gold Trim Excalibur Crown pencil, where the Crown over Pentel (not Excalibur) was imprinted into the body.

As far as I know, that would complete my collection of “known” Crown Excalibur/SG pencils.

6 Likes

I’d consider the PXN205 Excalibur Technomatic a holy grail. One day, I’ll get my hands on that pencil.

6 Likes

Still wanting the first gen MEC 0.3 with all the trimmings. Not sure if I’d really want to spend over $500 to get a used Hi-Uni 5050 just to have THAT mechanism in my collection. The Sakura Archi K type… like a Lamy Dialog 1 with more imagination. And a Pilot H515… the grail from my school days.

5 Likes

I would hate to see what the PXN205 goes for in auction, considering it was ¥20000 when it was new.

1 Like

Great call on the Pilot H-515. I’m not familiar with the Archi K-type, though!

1 Like

4-digit USD price tag, that’s for sure. :grimacing:

1 Like

Sakura Archi (K and Y2) are interesting cases, because they appeared in the last years for the first time at auctions since many years (10+). All from the same source IIRC.

I will look up if I have auction results for PXN205. I will have only recent results, if any, tho, because I was not aware of this pencil for a long time.

1 Like

Sakura Archi K series is so interesting! I’ve only seen three collectors with that piece.

2 Likes

Yes, that and the PXN105! They are beautiful pieces. There was a PXN105 that went up for bidding on YJA for about $5000.

2 Likes

Can’t view aucfree links in America. If anyone knows of a no-signup VPN that makes this easy, let me know…

2 Likes

Damn, I’m sorry. Yes, please let me know too!

2 Likes

You download an .ovpn and import the file to your VPN. I use OpenVPN to see those Japan restricted sites.

1 Like

I don’t have a VPN is my point. I want a website I can simply visit, and it works like a proxy viewer.

1 Like

Here’s a screenshot of the listing Zeta gave.

3 Likes