The Daily Grab photo archive

A couple of years ago I started doing a daily post on the subreddit that I called the Daily Grab. I’d grab one or more pencils from my collection to feature each day.

Since the sub is down I’m placing some of my photos here for archiving.

IMG_7976

15 Likes

This is maybe 10% of the collection.

7 Likes

I think these pictures and your collection are amazing. And I think you like Pentel, just a guess.

7 Likes

Absolutely stunning photos!

7 Likes

A few of those bring back some memories. One in particular led us to have a conversation which I think of as our first connection.

4 Likes

What a stunning display. It’s so wonderful seeing the enormous color ranges that Pentel employs with their writing instruments. I’d no idea how many variants there were of the PD345 Quicker Clicker.

Interesting how Pentel still uses that model designation, PD345… although it seems they change it up a lot with a suffix code, presumably for the color. I wonder if any repeat (vintage vs. modern).

Does anyone know why “345”? I assume “PD” is for “pencil, drafting”.

6 Likes

Those Technoclics got me feeling all kinds of thangs. I have a green one which i love dearly, but now i have to lust after the dark blue as well.

Lovely collection!

5 Likes

He is a Pentel man but in his heart there will always be a place for a Pecker.

7 Likes

That PG2003 is beautiful!!!

2 Likes

All of Pentel’s models that have a side knock are designated as PD*. I’m not sure what the D stands for.

I also cannot make total sense of the numbering but it seems like the original retail price, in Japanese yen, influences the numbers to some degree.

5 Likes

Tradio? Technoclic?

1 Like

These are incredible, and it was cool to see some of them for the second time.

My favorite image is the Huekulele!

And that yellow Pecker would probably fetch at least ¥15,000 at this point, if not way more (I feel like I never see these).

3 Likes

Good point. You know more about the product names and numbers than I do.

1 Like

I’d really like to find one, but I am not about to google “red pecker”

4 Likes

Like the SMASH pencil line, Pentel made a wide range of different colors for the Kerry (Five). I just don’t have the “collect all colors” drive in me, so I just pick what I like. I am wondering if I may be close to a “complete” collection in one aspect: unique variants of the central grip. Actually missing just one–the black grid, from the 2023 limited edition release. If anyone knows of others, please let me know. Thanks!

10 Likes

So, mechanical pencils are only one of your interests, eh?

Does that tweed Fender still have a masking-tape signature in the chassis? I’ve seen a couple of those and they make me smile every time.

Oh, nice pencils, too, by the way!

I think you have them covered minus the 2023 release.

1 Like

Hah. Yes. I probably have more guitar related stuff than pencils.

Nah, that’s not a pure vintage model. That one is a 57 Custom Champ reissue. Although I could write Jessica on some tape and add it. :blush:

2 Likes

You already have transparent silver, which is the hardest Kerry to find. You’re right that you don’t have the most recent Korean releases—you’ll likely need to pay well over $100 apiece for them now.

And Lindsay Wilson also sells a hexagonal Kerry joint you can use to gussy up an otherwise-basic Kerry.

6 Likes

Not gonna smell the same when it warms up though.

2 Likes