Smash Discontinued?

Relatively late adapter to collecting the Smash - but I think I’m addicted now.
Has the Smash been discontinued? I am getting mixed messages on the internet… Also – where can I find out more about this pencil, the color variants, rare models to look for etc.? I’ve looked through the Pentel Catalogs that nimrod posted (Thank you very much BTW), but couldn’t find any answers.

3 Likes

You can scroll up to April 25 in the Pentel chat channel to see a spreadsheet that @Riley181 provided with all of the known variants.

As far as I know, it is not discontinued.

4 Likes

The smash 0.5 is not discontinued. Smash 0.3 has been brought in and out of production. Smash ballpoint is discontinued and pretty rare.

If you plan on doing the full collection, be prepared to spend 1100 yen a few hundred times. Just out of my head, the models that I’ve seen sold recently are:
x3 Standard 0.5
x3 Standard 0.3
x3 Limited 0.5
x3 Limited 0.3
x2 Loft limited 0.5
x4 Tsutaya limited 0.5
x2 Donki limited 0.5
x1 Bungunomori 0.5

In my opinion, collecting smashes without the stickers/boxes/some way of distinguishing each edition is pretty meaningless, many look very similar and the parts are interchangeable. So if you buy secondhand, definitely check that they have the sticker on them.

6 Likes

thank you - i appreciate it!

1 Like

Riley’s list is awesome, it should definitely be posted somewhere more public!
There are some resources in Japanese, I’m not sure if all the models here are in Riley’s list

1 - ぺんてる ~スマッシュ限定色まとめ~ - watabun Stationery
2 - ぺんてるスマッシュ各限定カラーのまとめ – Stationery Life

It seems (but take this with a grain of salt) that the first limited color edition are the 5 colors from Loft 2016. There also seem to be two versions, one with 0.5 written on the clicker and one without it. Maybe (cite required) one is the original first and another is the re-release…
Edit - Nevermind, Riley’s list has older models.

It’s very hard to put all of the smash versions together, since pentel has no official list.
For example, most lists don’t have the two bungu no mori/office vender versions, since it’s a store in Sendai (where I live, but a relatively small city compared to tokyo)
Tw - https://twitter.com/office_vender/status/1235715768462897152/photo/3

4 Likes

There’s also a smash in 0.7 which is discontinued
[メルカリ] ぺんてる pentel スマッシュ0.7mm 廃盤(廃番)シャーペン ¥8,000
https://jp.mercari.com/item/m36224184045

1 Like

I just bought these 15 Smash pencils
On eBay. (Don’t see any stickers- guess I’ll have to wait until they arrive)

4 Likes

These are in the list I uploaded. It is very hard to keep up with them all. Japan apparently still loves the smash. At least 10-15 limited editions every year.

4 Likes

Amazon, Loft, Tsutaya and Tokyu Hands have close to 20 versions each. It’s the smaller stores and other limited releases that are harder to keep up with.

4 Likes

With permission from @Riley181, I have posted his Smash Pencil list in the Pentel Catalog directory. It is called _Pentel Smash (Riley181).pdf.

6 Likes

For recent releases I think it’s really worthwhile to get the 0.3 and 0.5 versions from the Smash Works limited run. The all-black ‘Modelling Black’ is pretty unique for it’s engraved or debossed markings. The Living Blue is also interesting for the matching grip pads and knock.

2 Likes

I seem to have a white Smash that isn’t on the list.

It’s a white Loft Q1005-9LF

Pictures

4 Likes

That color combo is listed under the 2013 limited editions. It was labeled Q1005-9 back then. I have just ordered a new set that labels them as Q1005-5LF - 9LF. Early on, I just tried to get different color combos not so much concerned with the model number. There is a different release of the (5) Loft Smash that has a different imprint style. Never picked those up yet either.

I guess it would help if I sorted every once in a while.

3 Likes

How much time did it take you to compile that list?

1 Like

It only takes a few seconds to add each new one. I started after I had a few dozen, so not too long. I have a much larger spreadsheet for all my pencils, but sadly stopped adding like 4-500 pencils ago.

2 Likes

Because they looked pretty cool. They are actually done very nicely. Most of them didn’t even cover up the Pentel/Smash text on the barrel.

3 Likes

:heart: glad you got these.

Did you purchase a set from him or individual?

2 Likes

Never hurts and there really are some cool color ways. I like the beach one on the bottom. Didn’t notice when I ordered, but one of them is a 0.3

3 Likes

I did order a set of 9 and some individuals. All were listed on Mercari.

2 Likes

I like the P305 on the left. Finally figured out that is what it is.

1 Like