Random photos December Edition

9 Likes

Is this yours? Does it work? :drooling_face:

1 Like

I wish. I’ve been looking for one for many years.
I’ve never seen one in person

1 Like

I would absolutely love to have this.

4 Likes

Train departing from Belo Horizonte, Christmas has already arrived for the railway here :smile:

7 Likes

That is one heck of a lonely train platform! Quite clean, though.

2 Likes

Weekday and not holiday season just yet. Our stations, be it train or subway are very clean indeed!

3 Likes

Wow! Spotless!

1 Like

One of our network engineers printed this for me.

Edit: which the more I think about it, makes complete sense as this is his boiler plate response when I have network issues…

4 Likes

My old Google Pixel 5. Terrific phone all around. Still going strong after 3+ years. I almost always have a TPU case on my cellphones. But sometimes I like to use the Pixel as-is. To protect it, I got a specialty skin that was cut specifically for this phone, from a UK retailer (who makes them for a variety of mobile electronics). This one particular skin is “shaved carbon.” It’s a bit thick, with a cool dimensional texture. Thin enough to still make it possible for case use, while strong enough to protect from dents/scratches. I recently learned from the seller that it has been discontinued now. Can’t get it anywhere, as it was unique to this company. So, if I ever remove it, that’s it. Done!

4 Likes

I spy that IJ! Hows the PG5 faring for you?

1 Like

I absolutely love it.

My 2 cents:
I write a lot at work. Up until it arrived I had several pencils that I would routinely use, switching them out every few days. About a week after the brass IJ PG5 arrived I put the others back in storage.

Its probably not for everyone; it’s expensive, it’s heavy, it isn’t terribly pocket safe and doesn’t have an eraser, but I absolutely LOVE everything about it: the weight, balance point, and grip are perfect for me. I have always preferred the PG5 over the P200 internals anyway. The clicks seem more precise.

Also - this pencil is hands down the most well made in my collection. Everything just fits together perfectly. Zero rattle, etc.

4 Likes

Awesome! I have a Steel PG5 by Dr. Wilson as well, and I agree on all of those points. The work he’s done to manufacture these is astounding. I do still find myself going to my plastic PG5 occasionally due to the weight, but almost everything about it is perfect. My only complaint is that the IJ doesn’t replicate the Dodecagon-al shape of the original

3 Likes

The weight is why I still prefer the Pentel Mechanica. I always feel like I’m writing with a legend that facilitated the best progress in architecture and engineering disciplines.

4 Likes

He will for a price. I had him make me a custom brass PG5 with a dodecahedron body and a black patina.

5 Likes

wait, actually? Do you have any photos before I spend $300 on a new pencil?

4 Likes

Do you know how he did the patina?

2 Likes

Here was my post about it on Reddit

6 Likes

From Lindsay Wilsons comment on the Reddit post:
Thanks for posting! FWIW I used Birchwood Casey’s “Brass Black” to do the patina - it will wear over time, but I don’t really know how much. The high points will presumably wear first, but a lot will depend on which parts are held in use.

I would avoid putting it in a white shirt pocket, but it’s probably unlikely to see that :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks. Yep. That’s what I use(d).

1 Like