Random photos - April Edition

in the lab the last few days developing some display options for our Cath Labs hemodynamic monitors.

Funny how much this resembles the Star Trek sickbay

7 Likes

4 Likes

That’s a great UI!

2 Likes

1 Like

I think I never got 2 faces right. :smiley:
But things have clearly advanced since my school days https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh8HX4itF_w

1 Like

Any board game players out there?
I picked this up on a kickstarter a while back.
This game is called Foundations of Rome.
It’s massive. The box is enormous and weighing around 20lbs. It’s a little pricey but the quality is second to none.

Supports 1-5 players, and it’s a fun game with easy instructions. Its a city building and resource management type game set in 3 eras. It takes about 90 minutes with 3 players.

But what got me are the models.
Zoom in and have a look at the details. This “Maximus” set came with around 150 buildings and monuments.

8 Likes

You obviously don’t have house cats.

4 Likes

I believe you and I somehow watched different Star Treks lol.

3 Likes

A class on Painting — from end of the Vanguards to Contemporary practices. Pictured, a flat bed painting from Clemente as an example of a flat bed picture (Greenberg) that has no subject, rather a deterritorialized accumulation of painting subjects.

Despite Clement and other painters in the 80s (in a movement called Transvanguardia Italiana) fought back against the strict and reductionist theories of the American Minimalists (Donald Judd, etc) and their statements about the impossibility of a return to figurative painting, the fact remains that although you can actually return to ancient drawing/painting practices there is not a subject in Art any more because there is not a single totality you can address it for. Everybody until the 60s tried to express a totality — a view of the world or what the world should be — but since then there is not a full idea of society that you can relate to. And as such, there is no meaning in art, just every day practice (Richter).

What occurs now is individual or collective episodes that only signify that all objects and all subjects are without a proper ground, unlike what happens in a world that has a religious background and where artistic practice serves a purpose (Sloterdijk). That means art works can be viewed but cannot be interpreted (like a Renaissance painting can be interpreted), they can only be admired in relation to the practice they represent.

Post-war America stood firmly for Minimalism (Donald Judd) and Abstract Expressionism (De Kooning) and against a return to “ancient/fascist/patriarcal” modes of producing art, but there were still a couple of resistants like Philip Guston, Julian Schnabel and another guy which name I don’t remember now. (edit->)

The outcome of Minimalism is now represent by post-minimalists artists such as Richard Tuttle. He says, “if the Universe is expanding always, there must be an opposite force (of less and less and less) and that’s what I try to represent”.

Edit: the other guy is David Salle.

4 Likes

In the midst of an office move… I wonder if the lighting in the new place will be as nice.

7 Likes

is this the old or new office?

I would guess old office.

I can’t see him complaining about light if that was the new office (see last picture).

2 Likes

Last painting I did at school last July. It’s a great, modern roomy studio on a riverside farm of about 128 sqm for 8 students. I had a 4-meter wall and a 20 sqm slot which is pretty luxurious for most art schools (if you except Royal College in London which is so expensive that they give advanced students their own closed studio (I’d say something around 25-30sqm)

Anyway, where I was there is plenty of natural lighting because the roof is made from big translucent plaques in plastic. It’s heaven. The drawback is that when it’s 30ºC+ outside it’s probably 40º-45ºC inside. We don’t mind, of course, because we’re happy and living the best time of our lives. But we need big fans.

3 Likes

2 Likes

:joy:

Yeah, those are bigger

Amazing! Really feels like a Star Trek type med-bay is not far away.

Took a 3 hour seminar on American bourbon. Taste tested 4 different ones.

I long had a silly bias against rye, as all I’d heard in the past was from old Westerns where scrappy cowboys drank the stuff and winced hard slinging it back (presuming it was crude stuff). Heh, funny how stereotypes form. Rye is really nice. And a high-rye bourbon is amazing. Got a bottle of Redemption and it’s very pleasing.

Was rather surprised to find that the Remy Martin XO I’d bought over 10 years ago for $80 is now going for more than double at the least (this is at Total Wine, a discount liquors franchise).

4 Likes

Knob Creek Rye is exceptional. And Four Roses Single Barrel is my go-to for “regular bourbon.”

1 Like

Have you tried Four Roses Small Batch? I also mean the lesser priced one, not the more expensive “select”. It’s very good! Also, their regular bourbon (no barrel or batch notations) is surprisingly good. I’ve tried Knob Creek bourbon, but not their rye. Will check it out.

1 Like

Small Batch is also quite good! My family is from Kentucky, and I always have access to limited edition batches; many of those stand among the finest bourbons I’ve ever tasted.

1 Like