Pilot 1977 Catalog (fp&mp)

From Twitter user @offu_5050, thank for his great work.
Pilot 1977

8 Likes

Holy moley! A NAME for the Pilot ‘Streamline’! HY-100SK Young Skyline!

8 Likes

Document isn’t loading for me—is this the pencil with the formed grip attachment? (Looks like metal but is really a resin barrel…)

Update: Yes, this is the piece I was thinking about.

4 Likes

OMG, it finally loaded for me—this is the best historical find in YEARS! Absolute coup for Pilot model numbers and casual names.

My favorite bit of info actually concerns the base-model executives (which, to me, stand directly opposite the Pentel S55, ML5, and associated variants).

5 Likes

I waited 20 minutes. Can you screenshot then upload for us??

2 Likes

6 Likes

Is this the flat sides one? I can’t distinguish well but it does seem like it to me.

3 Likes

I think it is, simply because that tip style (executive water droplet) only appears on this style of pencil when it has the flattened top of barrel.

3 Likes

Yep. I had two sets of these that I bought at once, thinking they were some sort of cast aluminum (with a seam on one side). And unfortunately, a resin barrel. I sold them both off in disgust… although I probably should’ve kept one. It’s still a sharp looking design.
Thanks, @drifand – neat to see PILOT had a theme. “Young Gentleman,” and then followed by “Young Skyline.”

Great to see the “window pane” clutch point in there, but I can’t get OCR to translate it into anything meaningful. Would be so great to know the “name” aside from the model number.

3 Likes

The Katakana for the window etched model is simply ‘TOP CHUCK’ / トップチャック.

2 Likes

Perhaps the ‘Young Skyline’ was inspired by the Nissan Skyline GTR?

5 Likes

I’m interested in the names for all Pilot models. I despise the widespread use of cryptic model numbers.

2 Likes

Could very well be, considering that’s a Japanese car! Also makes sense that this angle would have been used to appeal to younger buyers.

1 Like

I think you’re right. The rear window shape… looks amazingly like the curve of the plastic surrounding the clip where it joins to body. Plus, the lined chrome of the clip gives a kind of car-like flair.

6 Likes

over all I like the design - but those rear view mirrors - YIKES

2 Likes

In Japan’s highly congested roads, the side mirrors being mounted on the fenders reduced blind spots. A study was done and taxicabs had fewer accidents. So the Japanese Ministry of Transportation ruled it as a national law. However, it did suffer drawbacks such as more exposure to precipitation and out of reach of the seated driver (can’t adjust it or clean it conveniently). I never liked that position mounting either. Just ruins the lines of the car.

Thankfully, the law was eventually rescinded. Now mirrors can be placed in either location. And the trend is to mount them on the A pillar, rather than the fender.

4 Likes

Nothing to worry about if you’re wearing zoomy glasses

2 Likes

Or maybe

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 20.56.47

(in other news… Just updated my very old 2012 macbook to Catalina, Photoshop is gone, all Adobe programmes are gone… I loved Bridge so much, don’t know what I’m gonna do without it!)

6 Likes

Wow, amazing you held out this long! I think I lost Photoshop in late 2019 or early 2020.

Ever since then, I’ve made all my images in the browser :exploding_head:

I also made a video to show others how I do it.

3 Likes