MP Features that you like

I got into collecting mechanical pencils mainly out of interest of all the technology that is built into something as anachronistic as a pencil. I think features that interested me the most were (not in any order):
Auto-advancing lead like the PILOT Automac and S30, or the Pentel Orenz Nero, etc…
Lead protection systems like the Zebra Delguard, Platinum “Snork” system in the 171, and others. I almost left out sliding guide pipes.
• Then there are “regulators” like the Staedtler 925 85 and 925 95, Ohto Conception, Uni Dive, etc.
• Love it or hate it, the Kurutoga engine for lead rotation is pretty cool from an engineering POV. And speaking of which, the Dive is pretty amazing when you consider what’s going on inside.
• Although not known for the best quality, the Ohto super Promecha has interested me because of the regulator and the retractable guide pipe.
Fixed (like a Pilot S10) guide pipes are my preference but retractable guide pipes like on the Platinum Pro Use II and Otho’s super Promecha are interesting solutions to make things more pocket friendly – and not as prone to tip wobble?
• I recently found out about Ohto’s Piston series of pencils and had to get a SP-5, SP10 and SP15. These are super cool how it retracts the lead.
Shakers, Body knocks and Side knocks are all awesome in their own right.
• The “last stick of lead” indicator (or whatever they call it) on the Pilot Dr. Grip ACE is pretty cool.
• Then there are the retractable/double-knocks – these are hands down my favorites, especially the older PILOT models.
So I guess what I am asking is are there other “technologies” that other pencils have that I have not mentioned?

8 Likes

I think you encompassed almost all of the features, the only one missing is the Knurled Grip. Some of the best MPs (Rotring 600, Platinum Pro, IJ instruments) have this type of grip.

2 Likes

I still think the solution of the tip retracting when you clip the pencil in your pocket is still a fun design solution.

3 Likes

Features (or characteristics) that I look for in a pencil.

Subjective ones: good balance, good weight and excellent grip. Good click: solid but the button does not require a lot of pressure to activate it, it most have a clean travel, without jumps or roughness.

Objectives: 0 rattle, quiet (I mean the noise that the lead makes when rubbing against the paper), length of about 13 cm, removable clip.

Bonus: Good grip-to-tip distance.

2 Likes

There are some specific technologies you forgot: Platinum Z’s telescopic tip; FC TK Matic overengineered clutch system; twist action mechanisms (PD Matic, PD Mikado); Mechanica’s sleeve protection system; Tikky Automatic LS “automatic lock”; ff-matic. These are so specific and mostly one-offs though so, does it even matter?

I think that should be it, maybe one can include carbon fibre mechanical pencils too… Not sure.

When I look for a pencil I focus first on the design (and to me, drafting and innovative/avant-garde designs are the best by far), then on wobble and the practical aspect and last but not least, the technologies. I hope to one day own one piece for every kind of odd gimmick. That will be expensive.

2 Likes

Thank you! List of pencils I need is getting larger.

1 Like

Is this the Platinum Z you were referring to?

https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m63982774088?conversionType=service_page_search&lang=en

4 Likes

Here’s a blog post I did on one of mine when I was attempting to blog.

4 Likes

Yes! Atx has his up for sale, he recently made a post here about it.

1 Like

Yup. Need that one in the collection for sure.
Thanks guys!
How often do you see these come up for sale?
What’s a “good” price? The one I linked to said it was damaged, so I would not consider it. What would you think a NOS or near mint would cost?

2 Likes

My favorite MP features:

• Double-knock
  • Body knock
  • Piston knock
  • Knurled grips
  • Lead regulators
  • Stainless steel + etching
  • “Water droplet” tips
  • Cool clip designs
  • Flange treatments where the barrel terminates for the end cap
  • Uniquely identifiable design features
8 Likes

Between ¥10,000 and ¥20,000 now :unamused:

3 Likes

Vintage gold leads.

5 Likes

what pencil would be a good an example of this?

I’m thinking GG1000 and Platinum Z - what others made your list?

2 Likes

Oh dear lord. Chris and water droplet tips. I hope you’re ready to read a novel.

:joy:

6 Likes

the bottom one

4 Likes

7 Likes

Well, @First_Sail and @Knockologist knocked it out of the park with their examples of executive-style water droplet tips, and then you also have the larger version found on the Pilot H-515 and the most elevated Pilot Sprinter.

As far as cool clip designs go, I’m thinking of the Pentel Sharplet 500 (pictured here alongside a Sailor F1-SP ballpoint, which also has companion pencils in different colors), Pentel Sharplet 501, Pilot Gentleman Young (shown here on the far left, with an honorable mention going to the Pilot Sprinter clip in the middle), and also the Pilot mid-century dots @Knockologist showcased above.

The rOtring 700 also has a very distinguished clip.

8 Likes

Thanks.
I’m expecting a (both NOS) H-2003 and H-2005 in my first/next package from Buyee. I’m super stoked. But damn, now I need to take a hard look at all of these:

I’m super thankful I found you guys. This group has been instrumental in helping me build my collection.

7 Likes

Dude, you got the bug.

5 Likes