Model numbers for Mitsubishi Executive double-knock pencils

I used to know this, but can’t find it… and I know people here likely know it, so I figured best to just post an image. Model numbers for these? Thanks!

5 Likes

The one below is it the double-knock that comes in silver, black and bronze?
I think it’s the M5-101. Oh wait… here’s a listing that says the upper is the M5-101. I give up. Until we get to see a box, it’ll be one auction listing versus another.

2 Likes

Lower is M5-101… now that my memory is jogged. Several listings support this. So, the top one should be M5-100… but I’m having trouble confirming.

3 Likes

I think the TOP one is the M5-101…

I thought Mitsubishi used the M5-100 designation, too…

1 Like

I looked at several auctions from Elton, and the bottom one he lists as M5-101.

A couple years ago, I’d thought the top one was a M5-101… and made an image where I annotated that. But I would think Elton is an expert on vintage Mitsubishi pencils.

UPDATE: This should be the correct image then:

2 Likes

If Elton is correct, then the top pencil from your original post must be the M5-100.

1 Like

Mitsubishi, like PILOT, had often used model numbers reflective of the price. I was thinking that maybe they’d do the same here, with the executive line.

So there’s the MX-300 – all steel executive pencil with “diamond cut” etched facets. It was ¥3000 JPY. We know this model number because an example was posted by Elton with the model number displayed on Mitsubishi printed paper.

But, there’s another version, which is a wide-mouth without the diamond-cut faceted body. Was this also priced at ¥3000? So… MX-301? I’ve seen some people list this as MX-100, though.

What’s interesting is that in the first image of this topic, the top model (black, 0.5 mm) was priced at ¥1500 while the bottom model (silver, 0.5 mm) was priced at ¥1000.
My thought is, when there’s more than one model number with the same price, then an incremented number is used for the last digit, e.g. “1”. And then that would make sense that the bottom one is M5-101. Then logically, you’d expect the ¥1500 model to be M5-150…

Yet, I found another Elton auction. Labeled as M5-100.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen their official model number, but there are several model numbers that are often seen on the auction market.
I think the top four in this picture are Mx-300, Mx-100, Mx-150, Mx-101, for Mx-150, I don’t remember ever actually seeing that model number written once.

For this pen, the price I most often see is 1500 yen

w136486637.2
w136486637.3

4 Likes

I’ve heard it said that the MX-300 diamond-cut model is a more premium feeling pencil than the wide-mouth “MX-100”… So, it would make sense that the MX-300 being ¥3000 means the MX-100 is ¥1000.

Because of the lack of model number labels, leaving just price indicators, it could very well be that Mitsubishi reused the same model number. And this is why it’s confusing. And you’re right – it seems there’s no existing web reference to M3-150 or M5-150.
NOTE: That one image with the ¥1000 price tag… is either a mistake (wrong tag attached) or perhaps it started out at that price but was then promptly raised to ¥1500 (most commonly seen).

Yet, here’s another Elton listing, the M5-700. It’s a 0.5 mm size, priced at ¥700. And I’m sure there other 0.5 mm pencils priced at ¥700 by Mitsubishi.

Notice the front black plastic grip is fluted, while the rear alloy section is smooth silver.

There’s another variant with a lined rear alloy section. Also priced the same. So I expect either Mitsubishi reused the same model number, or it’s M5-701.

3 Likes

i-img600x450-1625130284wycd9z213
i-img600x451-1625130284ew0rbd213

4 Likes

2 Likes

There it is—the spiral cut is the MX-100, and the diamond cut is the MX-300.

I also think the stainless steel double-knocks with spiral-grooved grips are MX-100s.

2 Likes

Yeah, that looks to be it. Seems likely now that Mitsubishi reused some model numbers on occasion, and that would explain why we’re seeing MX-100 used for two different models.

2 Likes

It’s maddening. They re-used MX-50, MX-55, MX-56, and MX-57 in addition to scads of others, I’m sure.

1 Like

I don’t know how they kept their sales ledgers straight. Well, maybe back then, it didn’t matter so much to them. But I have to imagine if stationery stores called in orders, there must’ve been confusion and mistakes on what was received. Or… maybe they just accepted what they got and that was that.

They probably had different numbers for internal reference.

1 Like

Or perhaps the reused numbers did not overlap in production timeline.
The newer metal double knock in half-black / silver / copper makes sense as M5-101 now. The styling feels more modern compared to the older spiral cut M5-100.

3 Likes

Finally, after over a year of waiting… managed to grab a copper Mitsubishi executive double-knock. :checkered_flag:

6 Likes

Freakin epic price. @Raybonche is the only person I know who got a specimen for cheaper.

I paid ¥70,000 for a big lot that included 3 of these pieces because I was so sick of waiting for one to show up :joy:

2 Likes

I bought a lot of 10 Mitsubishi ballpoints in this copper/silver scheme…

2 Likes