Appearances can be deceiving

10 Likes

You can turn it into a pencil using Zebra’s Sarasa Select multi-pen components. Choice of 0.3, 5 and 7.

7 Likes

Damn, this is tempting…

1 Like

Wow that’s incredibly tempting. I like the pen design but I don’t like those refills.

2 Likes

Nice audi Quattro

2 Likes

I was a bit surprised to find a nearly D1 style refill… like your standard narrow tube ballpoint refill but clipped short. All of that body girth, which could hold a Parker or G2 type. Makes no sense… unless, you get like a whole pack of those refills on the cheap.

2 Likes

Is it a direct swap? Or do you have to do some adjustments?

1 Like

It’s a very small trim. Took a quick snap of the trimmed 0.7 insert versus an original. The beauty of Sarasa Select is the plastic tube is easy to modify.

5 Likes

Did this mod late in 2020 to flesh out a metallic yellow combo :slight_smile:

Had the same meh reaction to the superfine tip. Damn waste of a cool design.

12 Likes

@drifand What’s that black/yellow 0.3 mm Staedtler on the right? Is it a combination of the 925 35 Loft 0.5 and the All Black 0.3?

2 Likes

Exactly as you surmised. Loft Limited yellow from 2018 and the 0.3 All-Black from 2019.

2 Likes

@drifand Thank you! It’s a beautiful modification.

1 Like

Wow, that’s perfect. Looks like a perfect fit. Might try it

1 Like

@drifand How much do I have to trim the insert to make it fit?

You’d want the tip to end length to be 9.4cm :+1:t2:

3 Likes

@drifand Thank you! I shortened it to 9.4 cm but noticed a little axial play (not that it was loose, but it moved back and forth when pushed). So I made another one with a length of 9.5 mm; that fits tightly. – I like the 0.28 Jetstream from time to time and also use 0.38 and 0.5 (luckily they are all interchangeable) but as a mechanical pencil with 0.3 mm, the Edge is particularly appealing :smile:

2 Likes

Glad it worked! Can you show how the tip looks like now at 9.5mm?

2 Likes

Here it is:

Of course there’s an additional step (compared to 9.4 mm) but I like that.

3 Likes

Interesting – so you increased the length by 1mm for a better fit? The tube looks like a standard diameter that’s common across most inexpensive ballpoints. Did you find a good cheap source?

1 Like

Yes – with 1 mm more there’s a tight fit with no axial play.

I have bought two of these inserts at JetPens and paid way too much. I was searching for a Tombow MONO graph fine 0.3 in black and could only find it at JetPens (it’s very difficult to get one now). On that occasion I added these inserts, only to realise a few days later that they are available on Yahoo Shopping for less than a dollar each.