Zoom in on the silver

Just a quick grab shot of my silver colored Tombow Zoom pieces. ‘Silver’ as defined by Tombow is not always a matte neutral metallic grey.

The fun for me began with the 505’s anodized finish that, to my eye, was closer to ‘champagne gold’. The 515’s frosted texture added another dimension to its ‘silver’ color… and so does the latest C1 in ‘sand silver’.

Left out are commemorative pieces in mirror shine, or chrome like the 707 deluxe…

13 Likes

How is this a “quick grab shot”? Please define “quick” in this context. It would take me at least an hour to take a picture with features. Just getting all of those pencils aligned on a flat surface kind of boggles my mind.

Great picture though!

2 Likes

“just grabbed some pencils and arranged them for this shot”

I think this makes sense when you visit Japanese Twitter and see various posters putting together collages that would obviously take hours and hours to set up and photograph.

This seems tame by comparison.

5 Likes

15 minutes. I get to my office early and that’s the time I have before the rest of the team saunters in, followed by my boss about 30 minutes later.

15 minutes is how much time I get to wipe my table top clear of debris, lay out the pens and pencils, check the angle catches the overhead lights without washing out text markings, and then put a bit of putty on the round-profile pens to keep them in place.

5–7 snaps and I’m done. It’s all work after that until quitting time. At lunchtime, I crop and edit my snaps. Sometimes, the shots don’t work, or I realise I made a boo boo and need to reshoot. Or maybe I get home and remember there is BETTER color combo in storage that I need to locate. etc. etc.

The longest time I have is maybe 30 minutes when I took large group shots like the ‘evergreen Pentel’. Did that on a weekend when I went back to the studio to catch up on paperwork…

10 Likes

Please explain the step where you clean off the table top? I would have trouble with that part.

3 Likes

Plastic bin, placed strategically at the side of the table. Arm placed on opposite side. Sweeping motion to bin. Prerequisite: remove all breakable objects first! :wink::smile:

4 Likes

Dust and eraser bits are hell to retouch on a black surface like my work table. So a quick wipe down is just good habit before a shoot.

2 Likes

Example of something that didn’t work. The recent Smash in orange turned out too wimpy next to the Jetstream x karimoku and the reissued Lamy terracotta safari.

5 Likes

Yeah but what do you do when the bin fills up halfway through the first arm swipe? And the other bin full of breakables? Since the space under the table is already full of banker’s boxes?

Boy do I wish I was joking…

3 Likes

Still light years above my very best shot, @drifand. :smiley:

Do you use some sort of annular light, or some fixed arrangement of studio lights / LED matrices to have such a uniform distribution of light sources? I’d like to play a bit with my camera and the few tools I can use here at home, but I never have enough time to spend on this part of the hobby.

[Maybe you’ve explained this elsewhere on this forum: in case, sorry for the duplicate question.]

2 Likes

I don’t have a proper photography setup - it’s just that my office is equipped with neutral daylight temperature overhead lights because we are a design consultancy. Plus, we have nice floor to ceiling windows that let in plenty of natural light.

So I think most of it comes down to practice and knowing how to deal with the available light. Diffusion through a soft box or, in my case, the distance from a tall ceiling to my work table, is better than a strong spotlight effect from a table lamp.

2 Likes