WTB: rOtring 400 Auto

Looking for a rOtring 400 automatic in either silver or gunmetal. This would be the version that has the FC alpha-matic style tip. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

I have gunmetal, but I’m not looking to sell it unless you want to pay Evangelion prices :grin:

1 Like

Lol, yeah that was directed at you. Didn’t know if you needed to free up some space in The Toolbox™. :laughing:

3 Likes

Got one with a box and tag and only had to pay 1/2 Evangelion prices! :rofl:

2 Likes

Do you have some photos you can share? I’m curious to see the tip differences in any possible comparison you can provide. Thanks!

2 Likes

As soon as it arrives I will. In the meantime, @pearsonified has some images of his online somewhere.

2 Likes

The dude’s post

2 Likes

Thanks. I couldn’t understand “FC alphamatic style tip” as the alphamatic isn’t retractable and there’s no lead pipe guide. But I can kind of see a similarity in design when tip extended and you ignore the pipe… Reminds me more of a Rolly.

1 Like

Sorry, I was comparing the rOtring 400 automatic with the tikky automatic LS. The tip of the 400 auto is alpha-matic cone style, while the tikky auto LS is more tk-matic pipe style. Also, there are versions of the alpha-matic that retract. Here is a page from an 88/89 FC catalog highlighting the feature:

3 Likes

@pearsonified’s post is more about the regular rOtring 400 rather than the automatic.

2 Likes

Well, suddenly I’m in the halls of ignorance. :grimacing: :pensive: I see that I’m really behind on getting educated about the Faber Castell Alpha line. I didn’t know that there was an option that allowed a full retraction of the tip. Is that manually done, by the same way you retract the lead when done (press & hold rear plunger, then push with surface or finger)?

And there’s also an “Alpha” without the “matic” that I presume is full manual, but using the alpha-matic aesthetics?

2 Likes

It operates just as you say. Not sure when it was first available… need more FC catalogs.

The “Alpha” section is just where they’re describing the available metal and plastic versions. In the alpha-matic section after, they talk about the automatic function, including how it’s pocket safe.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that catalog photo!

I believe only the Executive and the 230th have the retractable tip. All the other variants that I have do not have the retractable tip. Does it mention this anywhere in the catalog? Or were retractable and non-retractable tip variants in all colors?

1 Like

My understanding is that it isn’t exclusive - my Marine alpha-matic has it.

Here is a picture of the tip difference.

3 Likes