Vintage Sakura sliding sleeve pencil

Wow! Much appreciated!! Sakura doesn’t get enough love :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I have been tracking down what I call the ‘hi-tech’ series of Slide Sharps, S1000x. Almost done with the line-up.

6 Likes

Yes, interesting! The TS2000 probably is the most expensive on these pages. I didn’t know that there were two wooden variants – I guess they are difficult to distinguish without sticker but aging…

3 Likes

Amazing I really needed this. Thanks.
Recently saw the cross hatched pattern ms2000 model on mercari.

2 Likes

Great share! Now I’ve got to have a TS2000A.

I had no idea Sakura even existed when I started doing proxy buying from Japan, but after a few buying cycles, Sakura pencils became impossible not to notice.

Their lineup is full of interesting designs; in particular, the ¥1000 Slide Sharp pieces are quite handsome and feel great in the hand.

5 Likes

Last one I saw went for 100’066JPY. So have your wallet ready :wink:

4 Likes

Functionally, it’s identical to ohto 1500c, so I’ll just enjoy the pictures.:mask: Imagine if they could make it possible to switch between fixed pipe and silde pipe with automatic lead feed.

3 Likes

Btw, Sakura once held an exhibition during its 100th anniversary celebration(in 2021), where physical displays and presentations of previous products were shown, including Archi, Slide sharp series and other ballpoint pens etc.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find any HD photos of the scene, the following is the only information available:
Heavily compressed image quality playback of the live stream, if you’re only interestd in mp, starting the video at 8:50
https://twitter.com/Ginza_Itoya/status/1428283759074308104
And an article about it:

E9_ykBoVcAQ9Xke

viewimg

key words and offical website:
サクラクレパス100周年記念イベント
サクラクレパス創業100周年記念

Once again, I want to complain about their conservatism when it comes to digitization and information disclosure. :no_mouth:It might be possible to ask them for original images or ask if any local fans have taken pictures at that exhibition.

12 Likes

it feels like birch and maple

9 Likes

The exhibition is fantastic!

3 Likes

Linus coming in HOT :fire: with the best shares :100:

3 Likes

Terrific, Linus!

Very encouraging to see Sakura making a special effort to acknowledge the ARCHI series. It looks like the lavish display reveals their reverence for the ARCHI models, a kind of historical flagship. I really hope there was a lot of enthusiasm from visitors, enough to make it clear to Sakura that people would be very open to buying a re-release of them (or some selection models).

3 Likes

I wish I had known. But this is a great share! Sakura is definitely one of my all time favourites.

1 Like

The Archi design is just marvelous, years pass and the design still looks futuristic.

5 Likes

I wonder… what might help nudge Sakura to undertake our longing – a re-release of the ARCHI models (whichever are easiest to produce).

Maybe a petition? Or a parade of individual emails from as many people we can get involved? I know, it would be a long-shot. But, it’s a low effort attempt.

2 Likes

Bruh, for years I thought the switching function of both TS and 1500c were the same as UNI kt switch’s operation, until recently I received 1500c. All right, it’s by rotating the grip to make it move forward or backward, and then control the retraction space of lead pipe. While the operation of TS is almost the same as kt switch, just need knock once after you switch the mode. (of course, I haven’t actually try it though)

The reason I didn’t bought it until rencently is the appearance, it looks like a pen for students instead of those hi-tech style, it would be nice if Ohto could make a new generation of it that has similar style to MS01

As much as I love the style of that period, I don’t feel the need to expect it to come back, the environment has changed completely, and I just ask that they should bring new excellent works in this new era as well, rather than mechanically creating hype with various color combinations in limited edition

Is Archi likely to return? Put aside the potential ownership of copyright issues, I don’t think Y2 will sell much, it’s a bit expensive, its beauty (especially its inner mechanism) can sometimes only be appreciated by mp or bp enthusiasts. Compared with buyers in the entire market, they can only account for a fraction of the total.In general I find Y2 difficult to fit in with this era.

But for Archi Y, I’d be more optimistic. I believe this appearance is still enough to attract passersby to stop. I forget the source of the following picture, maybe from Kevin? I like it so much, isn’t it a subtle harmony here?

5 Likes

I’ve seen a number of people on Reddit mention about their fingers getting a bit “moist” as they write for a long period. And if it’s a knurled surface, skin particles slough off and stick to it, making a mess. Soft rubbery grips are comfortable, but they also collect “smegma.”

What catches my eye about the Sakura Archi “Y” series is the slots. VENTILATION! :bulb::flashlight: Your fingers can breathe a bit more. And thus, won’t get so clammy and moist as you write for a long period. I think Pentel came out with a similar “slotted” grip section, but for one model briefly. Sakura did it beautifully here. It’s such a striking design. And… unique.

2 Likes

I’m always surprised to see my old shots resurface from before I was on Twitter :smiley:

3 Likes

I like the grip too :heart:

5 Likes

This (perforated grip) reminds me of the huge upgrade I found when removing the nubbins from a humble Graphgear 1000. Addition by subtraction. As a bonus you can insert a strip of paper - of any color you like - for an accent. Uuuuge!

5 Likes