Vintage Pilot Double-Knocks

It was on Mercari.

2 Likes

With sticker, add „2000–5000.

1 Like

I guess I overpaid a bit on the H-2003.

I’m apparently as not as savvy at my searches yet. :wink:

2 Likes

Nevertheless I would much rather invest in models >1000. for my feelings the prices for h-100x is much too high. When I started collecting they were still available at original price (except the old versions with the more textured surface?). I am not sure if I have an h-100x at all, maybe as „side prey“ in a convolute 

4 Likes

What were there original retail prices for these?

I’m curious adjusting for inflation how much these cost back in the day.

1 Like

1000 :wink:

1 Like

duh - i keep forgetting they already have the price tag on them.

2 Likes

I still feel “off” about H-1005/1003 prices because I remember when first learning about them, USA retailers marked them down to as low as $12 when this model was discontinued. I’d not known about the H-1005 then, so I missed that golden opportunity!

About 5 years back, I’d sold a mint and stickered H-1005 for $140 USD. The average was around $120 USD at that time. A bid war had happened with me as the seller. I think the cheapest I ever paid was $50 USD for a used example, with the label on the chrome center ring partially flaked off.

4 Likes

Sorry, but I quite doubt the accuracy of these time points, and some of them must be wrong.

There was already an image of H-1005 and H-2005 in the Pilot 60th Anniversary, a book published in Oct 1979.

Also look at this website:2012 Holder ; 2013 MP
You can still find H300x listed on Pilot official website until 2013.The time span did surprise me, but at least there is plenty of evidence that H-300x were definitely still producing during the 2000s.

What is the relationship between 200x and 300x? There doesn’t seem to be definitive proof yet, but I know many people think when 200x was discontinued, 300x was released.

6 Likes

Also look at this, 100x and 210x are listed too.
2006 Holder

4 Likes

Remarkable. Thanks for digging into this.

PILOT had informed me it was 1995 when the H-2005 and H-2003 were discontinued, and 1988 for the H-3005 and H-3003. Now of course, this is PILOT customer service and they did not provide any verification of those dates. They could be wrong.

However, there’s another thing to consider. PILOT may have had their “hi-mecha” holders noted for archive and so, still able to be found on the site as late as 2012. It may not mean they were actively being sold.

2 Likes

That’s curious
 Because PILOT said the H-200x and H-300x were released at the same time. H-300x was discontinued first, probably because of lackluster sales due to a 50% cost markup from the H-200x.

1 Like

I understand. Some brands manage their official websites quite infrequently, but as far as I know in recent years, Pilot is very timely in updating their official website catalog.

2 Likes

I just saw your posting about a 1979 catalog image showing an H-2005. Now, I have to wonder if it was a prototype in the works at that point, or if the actual release date was 1979 and not 1983. What’s curious is why the H-1005 is not there, though.

1 Like

Take a look at another picture. 1005 is right next to it.

You may be right, I didn’t see any promotional advertisements or posters about it in the book (catalogs rarely show up on these books). In addition, I checked the last few years of the chronology(It only records release information for a portion of products) and found no relevant information. But there is no doubt about when the book will be published.

As a supplement, this book is a review of the history of the company, which is usually published on important anniversaries. Many famous Japanese stationery companies have a tradition of doing so. I have a few books like this, but for now, it’s not appropriate to upload them for some reasons. I will upload them centrally sooner or later and I won’t further introduce them for now.

4 Likes

It’s not unusual to see omissions like this in this book, we know there are similar double knock products released earlier before 100x, 200x like ‘young’ or those models with vertical lines on the central ring, while ‘young’ is listed in 76, 78 catalog but no information in here.

I won’t worry about it in the next few days. It’s exhausting to have too serious discussions and I can’t stare at e-books on the computer screen for too long.Maybe wait until I have enough free time.

3 Likes

I remember getting mine for $10 on ebay. It was a H2003 with 0.5mm mechanism. It had no clip. I got very lucky.

5 Likes

How long ago? I imagine that would never happen today, unless it was a lucky BIN opportunity. At least sourcing another clip isn’t too hard. Of course, getting an exact match isn’t easy but I do believe the H-1005/1003 clip is the same.

My best score was one for $40 USD with a missing nose cone. The body was perfect. I had a rough example H-2003 that happened to have a decent nose cone, so I was able to cannibalize it to make a very nice H-2003.

5 Likes

I would estimate about 3-4 years ago. I made a post on reddit before the shadow ban. One of my best finds.

2 Likes

Speaking of killer deals on vintage PILOT double-knocks
 this one is painful to look at:

8 Likes