Collection of Damdeok, the Korean

Got a message from a Korean name on icloud asking about MARS-MICROGRAPH 770 0X and then we began chatting, these are from his collection

QX and 3 MARS-MICROGRAPH 770 05

Sakura AT-Matic ATS3000, Pilot H-3003; H-2005; Sharp pencil 2? and Sakura Archi YS3000

Old Rotring 600s

2 FC Alphamatic exclusive, Porsche Design classic line silver, STAEDTLER 925 35 champagne gold

More Hi-Mecha

H-5005; 3003 and HK-300S “Protex” (thanks Cytherian)

Anyone knows who is this collector? He also got full range of Micromatic 777, TK-Matic… You name it.

His top 10:

1. PILOT AUTOMATIC H-5005

2. PILOT AUTOMATIC HAT-3 0.3

3. SAKURA ATS-3000

4. PORSCHE DESIGN FULL AUTOMATIC

5. PENTEL MECHANICA 0.3 FIRST

6. PENTEL MECHANICA 0.5 FIRST

7. PENTEL EXCALIBUR PXN105

8. ROTRING 600 0.5 FIRST

9. STAEDTLER MARS 770-05 FIRST

10. FABERCASTELL ALPHAMATIC EXCLUSIVE?

7 Likes

The only Korean collector I know is Cuirassier, and he has a huge collection.

5 Likes

He (presumably) knows his stuff. Some very sought after models in his collection.

BTW, for the very last photo with the H-5005, the last pencil on the right (3rd) is model HK-300S and called “Protecs” (or Protex). That’s basically my favorite retractable mechanical pencil. Not a double-knock, but instead a twist-knock.

4 Likes

I wish I had more time to chat with him, he also explained to me in a higher detail the “specifics” of mechanism in Micromatic 777, Alphamatic x TK-Matic… He also talked about the H-5005 resurgence and said he believes this new stock is gonna dry up soon.

Thanks for the info! Always good to find out about a mp I didn’t know

2 Likes

Fascinating. How does he know so much about the automatic lead feed mechanisms of various mechanical pencils? Is he an engineer by trade?

As for H-5005 “resurgence,” I would just call it a recent spike in available inventory. Word got around of how much they’d been fetching on auctions and I think that’s what inspired recent sales. It’s anyone’s guess about when it’ll dry up. There’s no known total production quantity for the H-5005 to even help with speculation. I imagine a few collectors who were lucky enough to obtain several at original (or near original) prices flipped some just to cash out on some tasty profit.

2 Likes

Haha it wasnt that detailed, more like telling me more about micromatics faults, how the alphamatic differs from TK or how H-5005 compares to modern Pilot (its smoother and more well constructed all around).

1 Like

Other than the tip, how does the alpha-matic differ from the TK-matic? I assume he was talking about the internal mechanisms.

2 Likes

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

This Pilot Sharp Pencil Holder is probably Pilot Korea?

4 Likes

Actually no, the mechanism is the same afaik, it was tip and writing feel he talked about.

2 Likes

Yes… The FC are beautiful, tomorrow I will see if I can get in touch with him and ask him more about the German pencils we like so much.

Could be, maybe @cytherian would know.

1 Like

The hi mechas are incredible.
I’d guess they are mostly korean models? I had never seen any of those stickers before. The only one I knew was the grey circle one on the 2005 on the photo with the sakura archi. I believe cytherian also has that one (maybe I’m wrong).

2 Likes

The alpha-matic doesn’t have a pipe guide. There is a tapered collar where the lead protrudes and as the lead wears down sufficiently, that collar comes into contact with the paper. The depression and release of the collar from the tip pressure on the paper causes the lead advancement. With the TK-matic, there is a pipe guide that comes into contact with the paper and does the same thing–shifts inward, then releases outward and advances some lead with it. The mechanisms are essentially the same type of design, and since they’re isolated to the nose cone, you can swap them between bodies. See Dave’s Mechanical Pencil Blog to see the FC lineup together.

3 Likes

These are mostly made in JAPAN models. It appears that for distribution in Korea, they used a different sticker design. But I see one exception – the first H-2005 in the 2nd to last photo (middle below). This is highly unusual. I can’t tell if the PILOT lettering is a sticker or silk-screened on. And the price sticker is a band with orange coloration. Wild! Given how uncommon these are… did PILOT Korea temporarily make Hi-Mecha pencils?

As for the Protecs (ProTex), I’ve not seen this dark gray circular label on other models. I have to wonder if it was only for this model or just a few. At one point I had seven of these in my possession and this was before there was a wider collector awareness… so, suffering from myopia as I was, I sold off all but two. And yeah, I later regretted it!

3 Likes

Thank you, yes I’m familiar. I was just confirming what I thought I knew about the internal mechanisms and that they’re essentially the same across the two lines.

2 Likes

Yes, that is by Pilot Korea.

3 Likes

Utterly drool-worthy :drooling_face:

Pilot Sharp Pencil 2 is blowing my mind; I love the Korean stickers; and I still need to see the damn Sakura ATS-3000 with some lead extended!!!

I’m legit pissed at everyone who’s ever posted this specimen, as not a single one of them has posted the money shot :triumph:

4 Likes

I’m compiling some questions to ask him right now, will see if he can take a pic of it with extended lead. :smile:

3 Likes

If he just whipped up these photos on short notice, and can take more… YES! Some nice close-up high-resolution examples would be very much appreciated. These are really intriguing.

Does he remember where he obtained these? A 2nd hand buy, or obtained as new?

2 Likes

I’ve never seen that ATS-3000 before. Looks amazing. I wonder what were the production years.

SAKURA… so frustrating how they didn’t make far more units of their mechanical pencil models. It’s just so painful to try obtaining them these days.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to oblige. I’ll post some photos of the ATS3000 later today.

4 Likes