Tool cool to be forgotten… Pilot H230

So, Pilot’s H210 classic straight hex drafting series evolved into the H225, still with a blended hex design but now with a grooved grip, and then we get the H315/HO-30RK with a further evolved blended tail-end to hold the clip.

But wait! In between there was the H230 series! This seldom seen design had an all plastic body like the preceding and following model numbers, but the standout is the inclusion of a very chunky ‘lattice’ grip.

Imagine the familiar plastic gridded grip of a Zebra M-301, where each raised notch was enlarged up by 500%. And then to this almost Tonka toylike tactility is added a subtle concave curvature to fit your fingers. That, would give you the H230.

Today, the closest would be the Pilot s5 or the Pentel AM13, but those are done in rubber…

And despite the somewhat lowbrow presentation, it has the requisite metal clutch to be taken seriously.

And as far as I know, it was sold in 0.3 and 0.5, with the markings stamped on the metal knock. I wonder if a 0.7 or 0.9 was made as well… I would love for that to be true :slight_smile:

If you have spares in other sizes and colors drop me a message!

9 Likes

I have a blue 0.5 and a blue 0.7 :scream:

2 Likes

Can you repeat that last part again for me?

1 Like

The clips made me think of a Caran d’Ache. Lovely.

I have a set with 0.3 (yellow), 0.5 brown), 0.7 (blue) and 0.9 (orange) (but it’s not for sale).

4 Likes

Post a pic! I don’t think I’ve ever seen all 4 sizes at the same time—and certainly not with that color scheme!

1 Like

Would love to see the 0.9 and 0.7!

Here they are:

(They are actually in a transparent sleeve but since this causes unsightly reflections I took them out.)

10 Likes

Those are SPECIAL! Really really cool.

3 Likes