Took a chance on a cutter

¥5,000 for a new one… Didn’t really want to chance it being a lemon. Found a used one for ¥1,000. Looks like a pretty neat design, even if it challenges ergonomics a bit. Anyone here have one? It’s a Craft Design Technology produced scissors.

6 Likes

You were unsatisfied with the market for vintage Pilots and decided to collect scissors?!

Jokes aside, my father owns the black version but he hates it as scissors, they look extremely cool but suck at actually cutting anything.

4 Likes

I’ve seen them in stores and always thought that they looked super cool. I wonder what’s the original manufacturer, we know that CDT doesn’t really produce much themselves (at least the pens are all OEM).
From my limited knowledge on things that cut things (knives etc), the points people look for are:

2 Likes

:rofl:
It was a chance find. Was searching on CDT to see what they’ve made and found the scissors. I actually have 5 pairs of scissors, in different sizes. My go-to for office stuff is Mundial. They’re the ones with that iconic red plastic cover over the pivot screw. I’ve had this one pair for over 25 years and it’s still going strong. Never had to sharpen them. My favorite is made by Cutco, the model 77 Super Shears. Best scissors ever made, IMHO.

3 Likes

Yeah, the design looks super. I did read mixed reviews… some complaining about ergonomics, while others say they work just fine. I guess it all depends upon the size of your hands / fingers.

FWIW, I think any pair of scissors can be honed. Most of the time that’s all that’s needed unless it was abused with damage to the edging, requiring sharpening (to remove metal).

Given all of your requirements, I strongly urge you to look into the Cutco model 77 Super Shears. They tick all of the boxes. They’re made so well, they can easily last a lifetime and be passed down to the next generation.

3 Likes

those points sounds like for professional usage :wink:

for home usage the most important point is for me, that my thumb fits in the according hole. that seems basic (and my fingers are not sausage-like), but often fails.

3 Likes

Raise your hand if you’re a sad leftie. :raising_hand_man:

1 Like

Scissors, eh?

Tombow MONOTECH

7Eleven Japan x Philippe STARCK

5 Likes

Thanks – didn’t know these were made, Kelvin. The Tombow looks a bit weird to my eye, but the Philippe STARCK looks really cool, almost like high-tech salon shears.

1 Like

You must try bonsai cutter and scissors.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Wazakura-fabricadas-herramientas-japonesas-tradicional/dp/B07SBZ4JJ8/ref=zg_bs_9001155011_sccl_11/145-0313765-0449250?psc=1

2 Likes

I have one of these. Easily the nicest pair of scissors I’ve ever owned.

2 Likes

I finally got 'em.

Condition is good. There were some visible scratches on one blade, the outer side, but about 10 mins of some micromesh (rough and semi-rough) cleared it up nicely. Tightened the screw just a little to take care of some wobble. They cut beautifully. Nicely sharp and precise. The handles are certainly not as ergonomic as those made with curvature to match the hand… but, it’s still comfortable. I like how thin they are, since the handles don’t widen in thickness.

Overall, not what I’d consider the best scissors, but their design is a catchy cool factor. And they’re perfect for desk scissors that you would just use here or there (not lengthy cutting sessions). For ¥1,000, they were a bargain.

4 Likes

There’s a pair of the CDT scissors in my office. I should gather up my Starck and MONOtech for a group shot :smiley:

3 Likes

You take great photos, so I’m up for it. :blush:

The world of scissors has its own collecting rabbit hole. There are definitely people who collect vintage ones. Some get seriously into the barbershop ones. There’s also sewing shears. My mother still has a pair of sewing shears from the 1960s. They’d been professionally sharpened about 2 or 3 times.

You could also get into Bauhaus and post-modern ones made by top designers. I once saw a pair of titanium ones that were something like $500.

Anyway, I’m just glad to have a few. No more for me! :wink::smirk:

1 Like

Well, I was wrong. I bought another… “cutter.” :joy:

This one is the Cosmo Club. Came in a very interesting little set. The mini ruler is a very hefty, thick and heavy piece of stainless steel, with a detachable holding knob. The magnifier is pretty good too.

The scissors are very nice. Blunt end, so no accidental poking. Cuts very well. Not as ergonomic as the Zwilling, but the grey inserts are a semi-soft rubber. Comfortable.

Here it is next to the mini Zwilling JA Henckels. THAT one is super cool. It’s built very well, smallish, and very capable. Just right for a desk that you want to keep light on clutter.

6 Likes