There’s definitely something fishy going on here…

*slaps knee, wheezes

16 Likes

How comfortable is that to hold? It looks like it would slip out of your hand.

3 Likes

I would say its like the pencil equivalent of a french bulldog. No hate, but it clearly wasn’t designed with ergonomics in mind (at least for my hands, which are large).

7 Likes

What material is it made from?
Looks like wood or a textured plastic?

4 Likes

Its some type of rubberized plastic, i think. Its been mentioned on some other threads, but the surface tends to start becoming sticky with use. IMO its overall not an example of good design, but its so stupid that i love it. I also found it for less than 30 bucks so i couldn’t say no.

8 Likes

I love it. Not to use but as an art piece.

I really like how this presentation looks….

^ not my photo

12 Likes

Nobody can ever accuse Tombow of playing it safe, that’s for sure.

6 Likes

It’s a very… unique design.

All I’m saying is I prefer the look of the FC E-Motion

1 Like

TOMBOW was really the most daring of mechanical pencil and pen designs, back in the day (circa 1980’s & 1990’s). Most of the time, when they got daring, they still managed to achieve a good ergonomic level. With the Oceanic? Not so much. It’s just way too bulbous. But, it’s a work of art. And really, if you’re using it for casual jotting down some words here and there, it works OK.

Like a fool, I admired designs like the Mano, Tecnic (Titan), Espana, and Oceanic, but refused to buy them. “Relatively speaking” back then, they weren’t necessarily cheap, compared to other writing instruments you could get. But in hindsight? Oh, yeah. I’d have bought them had I known their appreciation factor. And for me, the Espana speaks loudest, followed by the Tecnic, then Manu, followed by the Oceanic.

I really wish TOMBOW would revisit these terrific pieces.

6 Likes

The espana looks good, yes, but it feels not really valuable. It’s light, and the clip is wobbly. I like titan more ( of both I only have BPs).
Mano I neglected while it was achievable – I didn’t understand that it’s a convertible.

2 Likes

Interesting – thanks for sharing this!
The treatment of the body gives a feeling of it being stainless steel. Sounds like it’s really more of a light aluminum alloy. And if the clip travel isn’t precise, but has a wobble to it… I think that would bug me.

The body of the Espana is actually plastic. The clip is metal, probably aluminum.

4 Likes

Amazing. With the matte textured finish, it certainly looks to me from photos I’ve seen like some sort of anodized metal. Impressive how they did that.

1 Like

Yes it’s been finished very nicely. It’s black or dark gray paint with silver flakes.

This presentation puts mine to shame. Ouch.

cheers,
elliot

3 Likes

I may not be on reddit, but everytime I see this pencil, I have to say it.

FISH PENCIL. :fish:

4 Likes