STAEDTLER ID guide 1969-2022

This is amazing! Thank you!

One minor correction: The 925 95 was also available in 0.9.

3 Likes

I am not sure if outside of JP the price concept was as strict … On my German pencils with price tags (rotring, fc) I see different prices for same models. So I think original prices were adapted from year to year?

2 Likes

I have no idea if the black hi-matic was limited …
This is the red Microfix Staedtler Mechanical Pencil Microfix rot ohne Bezeichnung Vintage rare | eBay . Since I also only know dark blue version, I am a bit suspicious about this specimen.

2 Likes

BIG UPDATE! Just this morning, I received an e-mail from STAEDTLER containing EVEN MORE catalogue scans (including Japanese ones). I love this company. Its a grand total of 44 scans, some I already had but mostly new stuff that I havent seen in other places. I will update this post and fix any mistakes and make a follow up topic with all scans and a link to download them.

9 Likes

O. M. G.

Looking forward to it. :man_dancing:t2:

2 Likes

Really nice to see my pics on this amazing post about my favorite pencil (925 95).

Also, there is a nice post about people cataloguing about all the 925 30/35 versions on Reddit.

5 Likes

What an incredible contribution! Thank you for taking the time to write up Staedtler’s interesting history :pray:t6:

1 Like

The clip imprint suggests this red Microfix was manufactured after 1989. Considering that, one has to think there’s an early 90s catalog with a mention of the red specimen…

2 Likes

I dont think thats it, the Microfix line is not present in 89/90 catalogue. Its last appearence is in the 84 catalogue. I will be posting them tonight (GMT -3) after updating the ID with missing pencils and new information.

2 Likes

Hopefully the last edit! Added the profilm 774 and some other recent pieces, corrected A LOT of dates and now they are mostly definitive.

2 Likes

Micrograph HS 771 05: 1977

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s been updated. Also, what book is that

1 Like

This is a screenshot from a search on books.google.com

2 Likes

Thanks very much! Doing some more search and found other dates, such as a patent filed for “Micrograph” in 1976 and info that it was being used for lead holders (actually mechanical pencils) since 1971 - likely via MARS-MICROGRAPH 0X 770 0X. And a patent filed by FC in 1976 for “TK-fine” as well.

2 Likes

Thanks to you. By the way, is there something like a 775 0x with a brass clutch and/or metal lead container tube? Is there a Staedtler pencil with a plastic body and 100% metal internals?
Edit: Does the MARS-MICROGRAPH 0X 770 0X have metal internals?

1 Like

Lead container tube definitely no… Maybe Micromatic but I know it’s not true 100% since a part of the mechanism is made of plastic, your best bet would be micrograph since that at least has brass clutch (drifand did disassemble his and say the 0.5 and 0.7 used a plastic one instead). I guess a 775 0X with brass clutch would be the P20X :man_shrugging:

MARS-MICROGRAPH 0X 770 0X likely has a plastic lead container tube but brass mechanism, I think the mechanism would be brass because it belongs to the flagship “MARS” drafting line, would be good if someone did a teardown of this pencil. I tried to get in touch with the guy behind zeichnen lofter but even with google translate I couldn’t understand how. EDIT: its all brass

1 Like

Thanks again for putting this together. I was able to use it to fill a few gaps in my collection.

7 Likes

It’s my pleasure! I hope one day you can fill the remaining gaps.

2 Likes

Forrequi, this is a terrific write-up on Staedtler. An excellent guide that I’m hoping you’ll be able to revise and append over time!

One thing I’m wondering about and hoping you might have some info, is original pricing. In particular, the 925-95 came out in the mid 1990’s. Is there a known sticker price. When it was retired in 2005 and the 925-85 came out that same year, did it resume the same price or was it lowered?

It also would be fascinating to learn about what drove Staedtler to change the design of the pencil… if there was some desire for an aesthetic change or if there was a production cost impetus to altering the design (such as the stepped nose cone being changed to a simple conical shape).

2 Likes

Hello Gary! I’m happy that this guide has been good for you, I’ve actually been compiling a list of pencils that I need to add and information that has to be changed… Any of these days when I get enough time I will do it!

PenEssay claims a price of 1200 Yen for 925 95 and a price of 1200 Yen that was later changed to 1400 for 925 85. I do not know their source for these figures, someone could try emailing them – or maybe emailing STAEDTLER.jp directly.

Many things can be behind a design change, maybe it’s because drafting pencils in general are “less desirable” than writing oriented models (you can maybe understand this as drafting x conical sleeve?) but honestly no one can know for sure. Maybe the 95 sold poorly or maybe it’s just a question about aesthetics like you said.

4 Likes