Staedtler Blues Inspired Combo

Staedtler’s Mars-Lumograph woodcased pencils are pretty iconic with their blue, white and black color scheme. Sometimes, I wonder if it inspired Tombow when they created their MONO branding.

In any case, I’ve been looking for vintage Staedtler leadholders that carry the same color scheme, and managed to snag the model 1001 Technico, possibly dating back to the 1960s.

Here’s an 1958 ad in Progressive Architecture (earlier ads were illustrated in black and white). It made perfect sense to pair it with the current day 925 77 Hexagonal limited blue (clip removed, natch).

For a matching pen, it was much harder. My solution was a Drehgriffel No. 1 in ‘Sky’. Although it didn’t have any black (except in the ink), the white cone and brass tip felt pretty spot on.

Lastly, I chanced on a A.W. Faber-Castell 30130 ‘glass eraser’. This stubby blue holder had a black twist knob to extend a stick of fiberglass material that could indeed erase markings on glass. I got rid of that ASAP and replaced it with a stick of MONO Knock 3.8mm.

P.S. A Staedtler-only shot, featuring the brand’s especially verbose markings.

8 Likes