Sharp Kerry labeling question

The Pentel Sharp Kerry was one of those unexpected delights that come with a new hobby.
At first, I was not a fan, as I initially was really only interested in drafting style pencils.
But I ended up picking one up, and it has become one of my favorites.
It just feels so good in your hand, and I love the variety of colors and banding.

Anyway pre-2011, on the original line of Kerry’s near the bottom of the caps, features the inscription, Pentel 5, where the newer models features the inscription Kerry.

I have some Kerry’s that I know are post 2011 but still have the “5”. Does anyone have a complete list of all “5” branded Kerrys that are post 2011?

5 Likes

Check this out

4 Likes

Thanks
I thought I had seen that before.

1 Like

I feel like I could’ve written exactly what you did - the Kerry completely took me by surprise! I ignored it forever not caring much for it’s stout figure and generally being the total opposite of a drafting style pencil. But once I got ahold of one I was hooked.

In addition to what @Knockologist posted, here are two other good resources:
Cuirassier - Pentel Kerry Collection List
Yellowdali - Pentel Kerry Collection

Also, here is my Kerry tracking sheet if you like.

As far as I know, it was 2001 when they “refreshed” the line for their 30th anniversary and changed from Pentel 5 to Kerry Since 1971. This was also when they released new colors other than the standard black/red/blue/green/brown colors.

4 Likes

Moving from “5” to “Kerry” was a gigantic failure. I’m only interested in specimens that have the 5, though the recent anniversary pieces were the first ones nice enough to get me to consider them.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

It’s really a great pencil all around. Diminutive when capped for easy carry and handy when posted. Contours & tapers are well done. And so many themes / colors to choose from. Pentel customer service is great.

Have the internals changed at all over the years? Or pretty much the same materials all through the production life?

2 Likes

Hasn’t it been that limited editions typically made after the switch to “Kerry” feature “5” instead as homage to the original labeling?

2 Likes

I’m not sure what their reasoning is based on. The 50th anniversary has Kerry, and if that’s not really considered a limited, there are a bunch of examples such as the Tokyu Hands Limited Black and more if you look in the tracking sheet.

2 Likes

Hey @Heath your Kerry and Staedtler 925 Tracking Sheets are great! Thank you for sharing them.
Have you made others?

3 Likes

That’s why I said typical, as it’s definitely not a rule. Would be interesting to find out their rationale between using “5” vs. Kerry.

The Tokyu Hands Black was “limited” but they never indicated a number, did they?

3 Likes