Red Pentel Technica PD1065 Confirmed

This is the first time I come across anything that confirms the production of the red PD1065.

3 Likes

I will get a better scan of this catalog page and submit it to the public folder.

1 Like

What catalog is that from?

2 Likes

I also love how they say Sharp “D” and not S55 :nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:

3 Likes

Not sure. I bought a handful of sheets from a Pentel catalog off of eBay. Will dig in deeper once they arrive.

2 Likes

Gosh I was hoping you didn’t notice that. :joy:

2 Likes

The small text below mentions S-55. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I saw that, but that’s specifically about leads. Also, notice how the pencil is not referred to as an S55. If it were an S55, they wouldn’t call it a Sharp “D”

2 Likes

No, that is about the pencil, not the lead. Lead does not come with a brushed chrome cap.

Give it up, no matter how much you protest, these are S55/S57 pencils.

2 Likes

This catalog page has to be from the 70’s. The top listing includes the P227 & P229.

1 Like

Maybe D is for Desirable?

1 Like

I stand by my original argument that it shows low social intelligence (or perhaps awareness) to refer to anything before the actual S55 (full axis, very shallow grooves, no etching) as an S55.

Hell, Pentel didn’t even do it, as seen here.

To me, this is identical to being from Europe but insisting on referring to soccer as “football” while on American soil. It might be technically correct, but it’s not the recognized working definition.

The D stands for Deluxe.

4 Likes

Interesting! Colloquially, Japanese collectors refer to the stainless steel Pentel 5 with braided ring joint as a “Middle 5 Deluxe.”

1 Like

The model numbers are clearly listed in the bottom left, just like the PD1065-B is listed in the bottom left.

Of course, this is from the mid to late-70’s, so these are probably already the shallow grip on the S5x series.

2 Likes

I’m guessing 1977 as I also picked this page up which is from 1977

3 Likes

It’s a shame the etching isn’t pictured in the image, but I’m guessing these at least still had the etching above the barrel/grip joint :face_with_monocle:

Fire up a Catalogs category, and I’ll upload the 1988 Pilot catalog. I also salvaged the 1980 Pentel pages from Leadholder.com, so I can toss those up as well.

2 Likes

Catalog category has been created.

General Mechanical Pencil Discussion / Catalogs

3 Likes