Question on Chronological Order

These are my oldest Pentel pencils. They are probably my oldest pencils regardless of brand.

But how old are they? If I were going to list these in chronological order, how would that look? I have a lot of missing models from this time; what other models would you recommend?

This is how I have identified them:

Pencil 101-B (early to mid 1960’s) 0.9mm

Pentel 11 v1 (1967-1979) 0.7mm

Pentel S-15-D (1960’s) 0.5mm

Pentel 350-D (1960’s) 0.5mm

Pentel Sharp 9, S-19-C (1960’s-early 1970’s) 0.5mm

Thanks

6 Likes

This is what I’d go with.

3 Likes

1 4 5 2 3

2 Likes

Are you saying the 3’s are same age?

1 Like

Roughly. If I had to put one before the other I’d say blue then green.

1 Like

Definately blue before the green since the green one has a new-style logo on the clip

2 Likes

I don’t think I have ever seen a metal push button on a S1x before.

I think your 101 is a “B” not an “A”

1 Like

Can you share some more pictures of the green S15’ cap and maybe the top of the lead reservoir?

2 Likes

The lead reservoir is metal 3mm and has a seam, presumably for the friction fit of the metal cap. cap is 2g.and is approximately 5.4 x 15mm.

I did not find a way to remove the internal mechanism. Tried gently pushing, pulling and twisting but didn’t try too hard.

It has a brass clutch and about a 2mm fixed sleeve.

Maybe this isn’t a S-15?

1 Like

Thanks for the pictures! That reservoir does not look like any I have ever seen from Pentel. The cap is also an outlier. I only have one S15. It does have a metal reservoir but there is no seam an it has a regular plastic cap. The reservoir screws in so no amount of pushing or pulling will get it out. I’ll post pictures soon.

Edit: Also all the S19s that I have of all generations have plastic reservoirs. I need more data points.

1 Like

It should dissasemble like a Pentel 11, grab the clutch part and turn. It is screwed into threads at the tip of the barrel. After unscrewing, it gets out trough the rear.

1 Like

Maybe this is clear for many here or well documented elsewhere: I believe „1“ is the oldest .5 pencil overall. But when did other companies/brands follow? Probably other Japanese ones, because I think European or American companies and customers generally prefer thicker leads until today (0.3 still mainly Japanese territory?).

I guess it’s a cultural thing … sometimes Japanese newspapers are in a parcel, and everything is much tinier than here.

Fun fact: I think Russia (generally Cyrillic language) is similar to Europe. Russian cursive is a funny thing, especially in doctors‘ version: https://images.app.goo.gl/oPPYM9DeQ3h5XoNo6

2 Likes

I tried that again, this time with a piece of leather and some channel lock pliers.
If it’s threaded, it feels like they may have used something on the threads? Anyway I was unsuccessful at removing.

I did get an end-to-end measurement.

Based on the font used in the clip this is newer, but still a mystery.

@nimrodd ‘s book does list a green model. The tip, body, clip look similar but as has been said above the cap and lead reservoir are very different

Also this little looks to be shorter than what he has in the book.

1 Like