Pilot Miscellaneous

I’ve got two Pilot “pencil magazines” for sale, new in package. Not asking for much, $2 each plus whatever shipping is. If nobody wants them from here to the next five days, they’re going on Ebay for a higher price.

4 Likes

Whoa, this is cool! Never seen one before.

1 Like

I’m still trying to locate my magazine pencil… darn it.

1 Like

Perhaps these are the pencils that fit the magazine? That dude’s whole twitter is fucking heaven. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

“Today’s harvest” he titled this, back in June of 2022:

And then in April of 2022? Jaw dropping. I wonder where he bought all of these from:

I mean… WTAF? From one day? He must’ve tapped into a collector. Never saw so many Sprinters up for sale all at once. His bio? “Just a student who likes cool writing instruments.” :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Scroll down to his 2019 posts as well. Holy fuck I’m jealous.

3 Likes

“I’m afraid, Jim. I can’t even look!”

4 Likes

I haven’t even gotten past 2021… and I see this handful of NOS Newman drafting pencils, the most coveted of the brand.

This guy must have a unique connection. Maybe his father knew of stationery retailers and if they were going out of business, the young student had his father make sure to acquire the most sought after inventory. I can’t explain it otherwise…

3 Likes

I am convinced they figured out time travel.

2 Likes

I’m dead :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

What is it? Newman?

3 Likes

Yes it’s known as Newman woodgrain.

4 Likes

One is being auctioned right now ヤフオク! - ニューマン Newman 木目 製図 0.3 製図用 シャー...

This guy must have some serious contacts in the mechanical pencil world…

3 Likes

The Newman Hype Machine… Is the wood grain drafter a nice pencil? Yes. Is it remarkable? Innovative? Nooooo.

I truly believe this is going to be a Black Tulip situation. The bubble will burst.

4 Likes

Ok, this clears up a lot for me. When I saw this newman auction go for a high price, I knew there was something special that I just did not know of. I am curious now though, where does the hype come from?

1 Like

These were going for around ¥8~12k max for NOS examples, for quite some time. Now this one is at ¥20k and will probably end in a bid war. These are nicely made pencils, but nothing stellar. Build quality wise, PILOT and Pentel are generally better. This is misplaced hype.

Something has elevated the brand lately. I wonder if something culturally with “Newman” started going around?

5 Likes

The hype was due to the active posting on Twitter from Daisuke Ogo, grandson of Newman’s founder.

He has been going to the Japan patent office to retrieve physical archives of Newman’s patents for early mechanical pencil innovations.

Some of the things I can recall include clutch design that predates Pentel PG1000’s ‘clickable function even without a cone on’, early tip designs from the 1.1mm era, and of course the holy war on Pentel’s sneaky claims to 0.2mm greatness.

8 Likes

Per Twitter, all the Japanese high school and college kids are enamored with Newman pictures, which suggest a collectible landscape well beyond the expected pieces from Pilot, Pentel, and Mitsubishi.

I think for many of these collectors, Newman feels like a new door being opened.

6 Likes

I may have found the magazine’s use. The blog explains. Interesting concept.

4 Likes