Pilot H-109x differences

I have 2 types of H-109x. One has a deeper blue color and a blue cap. The other has a lighter blue and a silver cap.

Do we know which version is older?

9 Likes

As far as I know the one with the darker blue and the blue cap is older.

On that occasion: Does anyone know if there was also one with a silver metal cap without marking? I have a 0.3 mm one but I don’t know whether it was intended that way or whether it is perhaps a production error (or the marking was damaged and the previous owner removed the rest).

5 Likes

From what I’ve experienced, the top of the caps are VERY fragile. So when there isn’t a lead diameter present, it’s because it’s been worn off.

5 Likes

Yep. My first lightly used H-1094 didn’t have cap markings. I felt nothing as the main body still had the yellow markings.

And then I received a pristine H-1093… gah! Ignorance was bliss.

7 Likes

This series has always intrigued me: the extra-wide grip section with its knurling is fascinating.

There is an Ebay seller who had been silent for years and is now back to business, with a few items listed: he had an H-1094 with heavily rusty chrome clip and cap for sale at what I considered a very convenient price — around half the current market price — and I snagged the pencil. As soon as it gets here, I’ll be able to check whether the cap markings are gone, or can be still found under the scratches.

PS: 0.4mm pencils are always delightful to use; I really need to find a Pentel PG4 and an Accugraph PG-1804…

4 Likes