Pentel in metallic blue

Ok, so my collecting pattern follows something like this…

• Collect something out of curiosity many years ago: in this case, a Classic Deluxe S57 purchased through Amazon about 7-8 years ago. Why? Just fascinated by the unusual blue tinted upper, which was in contrast to so many silver/metal upper + plastic lower designs. I’d vaguely thought that, “Nice! blue for 0.7”. I wasn’t even interested in the 0.5 or golden 0.9 at that time.

• Fast forward a couple of years, as I started enjoying pairing pens and pencils thematically. Came across a Rolly RC20 in metallic blue and the dots connected. Heck, I wasn’t even interested in the Rolly pencils!! I just had to have THIS blue rollerball for my S57. And I even managed to hack an EnerGel refill for it. In blue, of course.

• Nada for another 5 years or so? Then in a flash, I saw a Mercari listing for a P125 - the cap action MP that was styled to go with the Ceramicron SR20/120 fineliner. I’d sworn “I didn’t need the other colors” when I’d tracked down the basic silver / black version of the MP and pen. But now that powder blue glitz was irresistible. Grabbed it, and…

• Wondered: is there a blue Pentel MP in 0.3 to finish off this ‘set’? And the answer came in a flashback: Yes! Several Mercari listings for the capped QS5x series of pocket pens and MPs were still around. I’d gotten a champagne gold QS55 a while back and it reminded me of a miniature PMG. The cap had a safety hole in it that you could actually click the lead through. And of course, you can post the cap on the button and use it like a Kerry. So I searched for the blue QS53 and got it as well.

So here’s the quartet in blue:
• Rolly RC20 with 0.7 Energel
• S57 Classic Deluxe 0.7mm
• P125C 0.5mm
• QS53-C 0.3mm

If there’s anything I’d change, it would be if I could find a better color match for a pen. I Know the SR20C would definitely match but that would be so predictable. Briefly considered an Energel ‘Metal Body’, which has a model in a cyan blue but I dislike the cheesy wave pattern printed grip. Recommendations are welcome!

6 Likes