OHTO MS01… mostly better

Received my order packaged in simple plastic sleeves with a product info sticker

Close up of the notorious lead regulator mid-section

0.3 version mostly disassembled

Just received these in a shipment with other stuff. Immediate reactions:

• Pretty solid. No rattling - which is a surprise

• Mid-section cutout seems to be chromed steel alloy instead of aluminum, which has been documented to be prone to breakage.

• The new regulator dial is easier to engage with finger tips as the grooves run the full length of the cutout.

• Leaving the setting at the default ‘middle’ notch is probably for the best. Feel of the knock is muted, no definite ‘click’ but also not mushy.

7 Likes

I’m going to have to pick some of these up!

2 Likes

Question: I ordered an MS01 from Amazon Japan via US Amazon a while back and the listing said the color was WHITE. It arrived today, a SILVER body and hardware. Does a white version exist? Was the listing in error? Amazon customer service isn’t much help and the photo is ambiguous. I figure this is the place where the most knowledge may be found.

Interesting, complicated pencil. Possibly above my pay grade!

1 Like

MS01 only comes in Silver, Black and Blue.

6 Likes

OHTO made some really attractive looking Super ProMecha designs, but it seems not all of them were thought out very well, particularly if they had dual adjustments. Also, there’s something about cut-outs providing an easy way for tiny debris to slip inside that bugs me. It’s good to see the MS01 addressed shortcomings in previous models.

Which is your favorite, in design vs. functionality?

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll stop trying to get Amazon to answer this question now.

Mine rattles, otherwise is similar.

The threads on the inside of the grip (for covering/uncovering the tip) have a “scratchy” feel to them. I’ve put a little bit of candle wax on to lubricate them but that hasn’t really done anything.

The engineering is cool but the machining is a little less so.

I do like the weight, balance, feel though. Because the whole body of the pencil is made of metal, you can feel as well as hear the rattle, which I don’t like.

4 Likes