Newman ID help please

Can I get help identifying these two Newman pencils?
Trying to get model number and years it was available.

BTW - my First Newman

5 Likes

My first Newman (standing next to my father on a VW photo shoot):

7 Likes

That’s a great picture

2 Likes

Just found an old Newman in a box I’d forgotten…

3 Likes

They arrived today.
They both have a sliding sleeve which was unexpected.
Does anybody know when these things were sold or the model or name etc.?

4 Likes

Lower one is often called „Super 5“. It’s the same design as the „Super 2“, i.e. the 0.2mm Newman.

4 Likes

Thank you

How do you like the Super “5” compared to other cross-hatch style mechanical pencils in your possession? If I’m not mistaken, I believe Newman used some kind of aluminum alloy so the pencil feels rather light.

I had these to compare (left to right)

• Newman Super 5: of the 5 shown this one has the most subtle etching.
    Weight = 15g
  • PILOT H-1505: The etching on the two PILOTS are very well machined and comfortable to hold.
    Weight = 14g
  • PILOT Clutch Point: Weight =20g
  • Platinum Riviere – The etching on the Platinum pencils is deepest of the three and has ‘sharp’ edges. Weight = 14g
  • Platinum MNS-2500: Weight = 14g
4 Likes

Thanks, Patrick. Well that’s good to see. The aluminum alloy I had suspected was because of another Newman model I’d gotten that suggested that. So it appears the Super-5 is all stainless steel.

I also picked up one of those Platinum Riviere all steel black etched pencils and have to say it genuinely surprised me. Terrific quality, right up there with PILOT.

3 Likes

When the Super 5 arrived I initially thought it was painted. But it is just very subtle etching. I had to get the magnifying glass out. It has a sliding sleeve and feels pretty good in your hand.

3 Likes

I am not sure about the metal processing but the Newman Super 5’s grid seems to be a spiral cut technique rather than a photo / acid etching procedure. Maybe this is why the grooves feel shallower?

2 Likes

I agree. The „peer group“ above is a bit unspecific imho. There are many crosshatched pencils like the super 5, especially the Parker cisele 75. all (?) are spiral (cut?).