Need help identifying this one

Does anyone know what model this pencil is?

4 Likes

There are too many variations of this… but the 88 catalog that @pearsonified shared lists a 700 yen HY-70S ‘Young Conbi’ (Conbi = コンビ = short for Convenient’) with similar clip, cone and stepped ring. The catalog shows a metal upper and plastic lower.

5 Likes

The model before the price increase in the early years should be called H-305.

1 Like

6 Likes

Thanks.
Do you know what catalog year that image is from?

and do you know if they were sold outside of Japan?

I don’t know the specific model number, but I do know the pipe slide pictured here is something of an outlier in the Pilot catalog.

There are similar-looking pencils that have squarish barrels near the end cap, but these all have fixed sleeves.

Other sliding sleeve models are either short with a flange near the end cap or else 0.3mm with a “diamond ring” joint (the joint piece is faceted and gives off a sparkle).

But this particular sliding sleeve is 0.5, all black, and does not have the squarish barrel near the end cap. I do not think it’s precisely the H-305 shown in @tfhs’ catalog image above, as the nose cone includes 2 grooves, and the barrel does not feature the “0.5” etching above the ring joint.

3 Likes
9 Likes

So I think it’s an earlier model, and the relationship between the two is similar to H-2005 and H-3005

3 Likes

I think it does include the etching – very faint, but I can just make it out…

2 Likes

This is the most important link in pencildom right now :pray:t6:

3 Likes

I love seeing the displays on the last few pages.

4 Likes

Terrific resource! Nice to see clear, well aligned image captures of the catalog pages. Are there more years available for PILOT?

1 Like

The father and son wearing pilot caps… :sweat_smile::pilot:

Also… “wytebord”? Where in the heck did they come up with that!

Did Nancy actually loan her mug for the photo shoot? :laughing:

But I have to say… I’m having a VERY hard time believing this one:

4 Likes

Pretty sure you can recreate this one for us.

1 Like

Because you can’t trademark “Whiteboard”.

1 Like

No more PILOT. But there are also TOMBOW and some Chinese catalogs.

7 Likes

Oh my.

See you all in a few days.

:man_technologist:t2:

4 Likes

I don’t understand why there would be an impetus to use a trademark here. “White Board” is just another product category, AFAIK. Making up a name like that just looks… weird!