MP Obscura Files: KIHARA

I have nothing to share beyond these pix. Absolutely no idea who KIHARA are, what else they made, why they chose this oddball color scheme of brown / silver / green, etc etc etc.

I started with just a random 0.5 purchase but eventually found a full set of 3/5/7 sizes and decided to get them all.

The knurling texture reminds me of the classic Staedtler Micrograph 770 series…

9 Likes

Cool!

There also was Kimoto (not mikimoto). I only once saw a pilot h-1095 clone by them (and was outbid).

2 Likes

at first I thought the cap is made of wood !

never heard of kihara too

1 Like

Did you score this off Mercari? I feel like I eyeballed this set for months; I should have pulled the trigger for the grips alone.

1 Like

Beautiful, mostly for those knurled grips. Looks like some sort of bronze anodizing.

KIHARA is so close to Kaihara, a source of high quality denim from Japan.

2 Likes

Nope, this was a set off of eBay by a seller based in Singapore - but not by Elton (aka my alter ego). The grips are definitely the main draw. I did a bit of trawling and came across an ancient blog post from 2013, so yeah, KIHARA also made/sold a double knock in the past.

5 Likes

My current mental association with ‘Kihara’ is actually to a ceramics maker that my wife is quite fond of… Still have not found a proper company name or website for this stationery or drafting equipment brand.

2 Likes

That Kihara double-knock came up for sale in 2022 and remains the only one I’ve seen. Looks to me like it was made in the same factory as the Colleen Jib double-knocks :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I’ve seen these three sold multiple times in drafting sets (often accompanied by a compass/extensions etc.). Often for incredibly reasonable prices.

1 Like

The Kihara double knock was rebranded also as lion. I have the lion version.

6 Likes

Kihara and Lion are probably the same company or one OEMs for the other. I had an eraser from kihara that was just one of lion’s models. Some old photos:

6 Likes

Stupidly got rid of my Lion eraser. It also works as a 3.15mm pencil

3 Likes

Welp, another hole in my collection :pensive::joy:

1 Like

Nice! I like that nose cone on the Kihara eraser.
I’ve got the Tombow equivalent, but the nose cone is ordinary looking, plain conical shape.

3 Likes