Mechanical pencils predictions!

The mp world has been pretty interesting Id say.

Pentel and Pilot with exciting automatics that may not be as complex as old models but are still interesting advancements and great pencils overall.

Pentel a few years ago and that 0.1 prototype + orenznero.

Uni and its Kuru Toga reviving a good part of the interest in mechanical pencils.

Even STAEDTLER and the HEX tribute to the lumograph and offering the 925 line internationally.

Rotring and the 800 and Rapid Pro which yeah isnt a 600G but it doesnt take away from it.

What are your predictions for the future?
I believe that maybe Uni will bring back the Hi branding; Pilot releases a new Automac in the late 2020s and Pentel expands and improves their Orenz line, I think Chinese brands will make more complex and competitive models as well.

2 Likes

I hope your first two predictions are true, and I hope Pentel does something entirely new.

But I’m not bullish on anything except for a new metal pencil from Pilot (probably an automatic given the current state of the market).

2 Likes

I also hope that Pentel does something else new. I can’t think of anything new besides new releases of Orenz models in the last several years, aside from Limited Edition colors of older models.

3 Likes

I want the Graph1000 LE series to die; same for the Smashes.

Time for something new!

4 Likes

I’m going to keep my wish list simple for now. Clear p200s with colors like on the new Orenz, and I’m ready for the re-release of the PD345 with the new colors.

5 Likes

With Rubber Grip? :laughing:

3 Likes

Thumbs down :-1:t2: :-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2:

5 Likes

Smash has not actually explored translucent colors… maybe the mock-ups sucked but I’d like to see some with UNPAINTED grip sections.

Staedtler needs to man up and release the Hexagonal blue as a normal edition… for 2mm lead. I wonder how many (boring) silver versions are unsold.

rOtring… how about evolving the 600 for some real improvements? The lead degree window needs to suck less.

ALVIN ‘s new draftmatic design probably won’t do very well. Strange stubby tip is strange.

4 Likes

I’d like to see a SMASH with a brushed steel grip. And perhaps a limited edition with steel body.

I’m also waiting for TOMBOW to start some reissues, perhaps with some slight design changes to preserve the value of vintage examples.

3 Likes

I picked up a set of these simply because they used Gotham (typeface) for the barrel printing.

But yeah, that tip design looks strange, and I suspect Alvin have gone the über-cheap Pacific Arc route with their brand renovation…

2 Likes

The new draftmatic’s look like cheap draftmatic clones.

3 Likes