Manufactum Pencils

Think these were discussed on Reddit a while ago. Happy to be corrected, but i believe they’re rebranded Fuji Coronas. Regardless, they have a nice heft to them (although i wouldn’t describe them as overly chonky bois). The black and the brass are made of…well, brass, and the silver is aluminium. I really love the black and silver because of how matte they are; the brass is a little bit too gloss for my liking.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Not sure they’re offered outside of Europe (or Germany specifically). I made this offer to another redditor, but if you’re looking to get some, I’ll happily help you out (just for shits and gigs; not looking to turn a profit).

3 Likes

Hey! Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing these!

Yeah I’d want to knock down the shine on the brass if I had one. I’d hit it with my satin polishing wheel.

3 Likes

Dying to get these, but Manufactum isn’t shipping to the US right now :pensive:

1 Like

They’re nicely made. Tip is solid in extension. I’d been eyeing the KOKUYO TZ-PSP3 and TZ-PSP5, which have become absurdly expensive these days. The Manufactum is extremely close in design and much cheaper, if you can get it.

Compared to the Blick Premier, the Manufactum has a little less resistance in the spring, and a smoother deployment, and weighs just a little less. I’ll have to take a comparative photo at some point.

5 Likes

If you want to buy a set and ship them to me, i’d happy to post them to you.

1 Like

Good idea - i’ll save you the trouble, sir. There’s a Nicpro in there for additional comparison.

Totally feel you on the Kokuyo’s - I saw a pair on Mercari for something ridiculous like 3000 €. I’m irresponsible, but not that irresponsible.

3 Likes

Thank you, Stu. Nicely done, especially getting all of them in the semi-matte silver finish. I hadn’t heard of the Nicpro before. It looks almost like a larger version of the Blick Premier, with hexagonal body and more aggressive knurling. Is it the heaviest of the three?

2 Likes

No worries! The Nicpro is available on Amazon and AliExpress - i think they probably exist under a few different names as they’re totally unbranded. I got a few because i couldn’t believe how cheap they were (i think you can pick up a set of 4 for less than 20 dollars). They come in black as well, and in sizes from 0.3 to 2mm. They’re a little unrefined, but its a sub 5 dollar metal retractable tip pencil - i wasn’t expecting perfection.

To answer your question, i quickly weighed them - Manufactum is around 13 grams, the Nicpro is around 16 grams, and the Blick is 25 (!) grams.

2 Likes

Warning: The NicPro is a modern, open-source parts piece of shit.

2 Likes

Surprised the Manufactums are such lightweights!

1 Like

Good to know that. I wasn’t planning on buying one anyway (the Manufactum Druckbleistift and the Blick Premier make it superfluous).

FWIW
I reached out to CultPens.com to see if they carry these pencils. Their response: "Thank you for letting us know about them. They’re not a brand we stock at the moment but we’ll certainly take a look and keep them in mind. "

3 Likes

Yeah - the Manufactum website states they’re exclusive to Manufactum; i doubt they’ll be sold elsewhere anytime soon.

2 Likes

If Manufactum can sell more of them and have a vendor who will enable international shipping… I don’t think they’d turn away that revenue opportunity.

1 Like

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

This looks to be a Manufactum pencil on eBay

2 Likes

Good lord. That’s nearly a 300% markup!

2 Likes

I get it though. Selling on eBay and using PayPal has a lot of overhead costs. Have to build that into the price