Leather Platinum

I don’t know the model of this one. It is very nice in the hand and has the mid-century style that does some thing for me. The coloring on the leather is not getting better with age.

5 Likes

Is it sheepskin?

2 Likes

This one comes in a burgundy finish, too, and it looks pretty amazing. The piece I saw definitely weathered better than this white one!

1 Like

I have no idea what the skin is actually from.

2 Likes

Good to know. I usually don’t collect Platinum but I will now have to keep an eye out for these.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s sheep skin

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m13166435610

2 Likes

Cool! There is quite a word salad at the end of the description.

1 Like

From all I’ve seen, it appears Platinum was the one Japanese writing instrument brand really obsessed with leather. They used it in many fountain pen variations, and even in mechanical pencils. I didn’t know they got THIS crazy, to actually do art designs on it. Almost like… “Leather Maki-e.”

3 Likes

It makes sense to be sheep skin, as it’s a thinner leather, more stretchable than calf’s leather.

It’s also more vulnerable. I’ve seen some old Platinum pens that had a full body leather treatment to it and yikes… looked awfully weathered, and in some cases the outer coating/treatment flaking off.

1 Like

OT

That „search terms“ are allowed at Mercari, adds to the oddities of the platform. In fact, the search is disfunctional due to this:-(

1 Like