Knockology on Clutch Situation

How awesome is that.

13 Likes

What a warming and amazing review! Hope he starts posting here soon.
Thomas (got from the video) is getting famous, sky is the limit now!

8 Likes

He is part of the reason I fell in love with this hobby. A google search for the “best mechanical pencil” or something similar led me to his channel, my first purchase - Uni Kuru Toga Roulette, subsequently Reddit, and now I’m here diving head first into vintage stuff. Was having a rough day, this perked me up, and made me smile from ear to ear!

7 Likes

I’m going to keep sending him vintage stuff and convert him over to the dark side. :joy:

11 Likes

Clutch Situation was in the Slack group. Isn’t he here?

3 Likes

Yeah, I got him in on the Slack group when we were using it a couple years ago. He didn’t make the transfer over to here. Same with Ron.

2 Likes

The same happened to me, several MPs I bought were based on his reviews.

5 Likes

Hah! I hope so. You said “keep sending.” Have you sent him several vintage models already?

Is it just me, or is anyone else here reminded of Adam Savage when listening to Michael (Clutch Situation)? I’d love it if he did a “mechanical pencil myth busters” YouTube episode. :smile:

6 Likes

The first myth that must be debunked is that of the Kurutoga.

5 Likes

And what is that myth about the Kuru Toga, First Sail?

1 Like

Kuru Toga claims that it will keep the tip of the lead with a constant sharpness due to its rotation mechanism: fake.

In reality this does not happen due to three reasons.
1.- the strokes do not have the same length.
2.- the pressure exerted by the user is not constant.
3.- most users rotate the pen when writing.

(Some people said that it does work when writing kanjis, I have not tried it but I highly doubt it)

The Kuru Toga turns the lead a little every time we separate it from the paper when writing. If you write sternocleidomastoid without lifting the pencil from the paper, the lead will have worn, forming a bevel, much more than if you write, for example, the letter a, in which case the wear will be much less than with the long word, and the resulting bevel will also be different.

Since the stroke of each word has a different length and travel, the wear of the lead will also be different. This without taking into account the different pressures exerted by the writer on the paper and the continuous changes of angle. Due to these continuous changes in the length of the written words, the changes in pressure and angles of attack, it is impossible (or very unlikely to say the least) to take form the perfect cone of sharpening that we see at the tip of the lead in the advertisement for the Kuru Toga.

3 Likes

You’ve clearly given it a lot of thought.

I agree that these are potential flaws with achieving a perfectly symmetrical sharp lead point. But the Kuru Toga does not promise that. What it is doing is helping to maintain a “reasonably good sharpness” throughout the use of the lead. Certainly there are exceptions to use that will contest “reasonably good.” But for the most part, writing printed letters (not script) will tend to achieve the result. It’s also especially true for kanji and similar complex character letter sets.

If the Kuru Toga was fake, it would be a failure. But look at how many models are sold and glowing reviews made by users. There’s a success story at hand that cannot be denied.

5 Likes

Kuru Toga = fake ???

:joy: this is laser pointer dude level.

6 Likes

Well, maybe fake is not the right adjective, I apogize for my google translator english level. But just because KT is a sales success doesn’t mean it’s a good mechanical pencil, reggaeton is also super popular (I went off topic completely, sorry sorry).

4 Likes

Just messing with ya. :blush:

3 Likes

The Kuru Toga mechanism works when the pen tip is pressed and then lifted. Of course that means it won’t work with cursive. But for both kanji and print (the style of occidental writing in which many strokes are used to write one letter) it works fine.
I write in print and the kuru toga works fine. The only complaint is the mushy feeling. Most of my enjoyment of writing with a pencil comes from the solid feel when the tip hits the paper, and even more when there’s only one sheet of paper. And that feeling is completely absent in the kuru togas.

6 Likes

Diego, do you feel the same degree of mushiness with the Kuru Toga Dive as well? Or did the technical improvements lessen it a bit? Also, for the non-capped versions, which Kuru Toga model would you say feels the most tolerable?

5 Likes

Not really… the dive feels mushy to me as well.

From the other models, the best in terms of feel is the kuru toga new standard. The problem isn’t going away though—it still feels mushy, just less than the others.

6 Likes

I had mentioned in another thread that I lost some of my enthusiasm for my Kuro Togas (I have a handful of them) once I started using some of the “harder” drafting pencils. The description above by RPD perfectly describes what’s happened. Roulettes especially are still very nice-looking, and the technical achievement is pretty impressive, but the writing experience just isn’t the same. If you want a consistently sharp point why not just use .3 lead?

Reggaeton is mostly pretty lousy, it’s true.

4 Likes