IJ Instruments PG5 in Brass ❤️

This just arrived - IJ Instruments PG5 in brass w/ interrupted knurling. I think this may be my new EDC pencil.

15 Likes

Oh my.

1 Like

Would you mind taking it apart and taking photos of all the pieces?

You bet.
I’ll try to get that today

3 Likes

Apologies for the lightning. My office at the hospital is dreary :disappointed:

7 Likes

Beautiful!!!

4 Likes

This is definitely one of the finest pencils in existence :star_struck:

5 Likes

Great to see this! I wish the exchange rate for USD to GBP was as favorable as USD to JPY. Last year, it was so close to parity. But, it’s still pretty good. I hope Lindsay catches up with his orders soon so this can be ordered again.

EDIT: Lindsay Wilson, the man behind IJ Instruments, is pretty active on the Reddit MP sub and he said he’s still taking orders via direct message, despite his website showing the shopping cart functionality disabled. I suspect he doesn’t put the PG5 up there, because it may be a bit more work than the other models and so he doesn’t want to get overloaded.

4 Likes

I contacted him directly via email. I saw a similar model he had made previously and just sent him a picture of what I wanted. We discussed the basics: material, grip, etc. I initially wanted something in copper and brass but settled on solid brass. You right on the unfavorable exchange rate, but my economist buddy I have lunch with thinks it’s only going to get worse for the time being. The PG5 is £25 more than the No. 9. I paid for this pencil on Aug 27, and received it (USA Tennessee) Oct 5.

2 Likes

So, the PG5 model is £160? All in all, that’s very reasonable. The titanium model he has (LINK) is a whopping £240. I expect this is because titanium is much harder to work with than brass, aluminum, and stainless steel. Lindsay did say it takes about 3 to 4 weeks to produce a pencil on request, and given shipping times, that’s about in line with how long it took for you, Patrick.

2 Likes

I may have misspoken – I paid £200 for the PG5 (Including shipping). The international shipping and interrupted knurling added some extra

2 Likes

I have plans to get another next year. I really like the way the two bottom ones in this image look.

EDIT:
These appear to be 1-2mm lead clutch holders, but I want something similar but w/ PG5 internals.

5 Likes

You also bought a number of accessories too, like lead window eraser caps and Orenz adapters?

1 Like

I did - but that was a seperate purchase

1 Like

I agree. I wonder if he could also increase the girth near the grip with an appropriate taper. It would start to look very much like the TOMBOW La Nave v472.

5 Likes

The ArtPencil style is just gorgeous.

5 Likes

Agreed.

I have the Art Pen Millenium, (fountain pen), in one of the limited edition flavors… a light colored wood of some kind.

At the moment, my single IJ Instruments pencil, among some rOtring & OHTO pencils

7 Likes

:star_struck: that’s amazing

3 Likes

@Pdunc67 Where does this picture come from? I’ve skimmed through the IJ site, but could find only more “conventional” designs for the barrels of the pencils…

Also: I’d like to try the “Art-Pencil-style” leadholders, but I’m afraid the full metal body might compromise the balance, as I prefer mass distributions leaning towards the tip, and this is not always achievable with full metal bodies, whence some lower level of comfort when using the object.

3 Likes

Hey @Leonov

Here is the link to where I found them in the [MP subreddit ]. (https://reddit.com/r/mechanicalpencils/s/iEtp16DgXU)

Your best bet is to find a pic of what you like and email Dr. Wilson for a quote. That’s what I did. After we worked out the details like materials, etc. he sent me an invoice.

4 Likes