IJ instruments No 9 Brass

Maybe not super cool but the IJ instruments I bought second hand off Ebay finally arrived. It seems to be an older one since it does not have the laser engraving.

8 Likes

A beautiful pencil! Congratulations on that find. It’s great that it doesn’t have the laser engraving – to me it makes the pencil look like a promotional item.

I bought a Number 9 about three years ago:

4 Likes

Nice! How often do you polish it? This is my first brass pencil and I was quite surprised when it formed a hazy layer of patina after I cleaned it with water and a tooth brush. I’m a little worried it will affect the longevity of the pencil.

2 Likes

I only polish it now and then. Don’t worry – the patina doesn’t affect the longevity of the pencil but makes it even more attractive over time. Brass ages beautifully!

4 Likes

Speaking of ageing brass:

The sharpener on the left is about 130 years old, and if the blade wasn’t dull it would work as it did on the first day. So expect your Number 9 pencil to last at least as long :wink: (provided the mechanism keeps up with the years but fortunately it’s replaceable).

8 Likes

Congrats! I agree that the non marked one is more desirable. I’m glad that’s the one I have.

Did you have to pay a premium or was it actually at a used price?

1 Like

I was able to get it for a used price, luckily. It was 116 factoring in shipping and taxes.

2 Likes

That’s a great price.
I have a brass PG5 that is my daily driver.
Prior to purchasing this one, I used to rotate through my collection pretty regularly.
I haven’t used a different pencil at work since I bought it.
It has developed quite a bit of patina in the months since I purchased it.

9 Likes

This is my favorite grip of the Number 9 pencils.

1 Like

I prefer with the laser engraving, personal taste really varies hahaha

3 Likes

Ah, I wondered who bought this one. I was thinking about it but when I asked for some clarifying information from the seller I got no response. :confused: