I no longer dislike my Graphgear1000!

Apologies if you’ve seen my comments on the subreddit already. I was VERY disappointed in the nubbin-grip of my GG1000 so I never used it. I saw a post on reddit that got me thinking. I am now VERY happy with it. Removed the inner rubber sleeve with the nubbins, wrapped the inner plastic with a strip of gaffer’s tape, and it’s MUCH better!

5 Likes

Now to that weird ass clip!

j/k I kinda grew up to it… I think.

4 Likes

Ok, now rip off the horrible clip and maybe you arrive at an acceptable pencil :-p

3 Likes

Haha, same thoughts :joy:

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

I actually like the full back LE, the raven one, should have kept one for myself… As a writing instrument it is flawless.

For me, the trouble with the clip is not the shape or the seesaw gimmick — it’s those two alien bumps on the back that are trying to decorate it. The seesaw idea is quite cool in fact, there’s several Pentel pencils that use it very effectively. Like the Flexfit GT (although its not really a seesaw) which is one of my 05 faves in all its plastic glory. It’s a masterpiece.

1 Like

Just need to get a replacement brass bit for the inner connector bit now :joy:

4 Likes

Rip off the clip, and it is a piece of junk.

The GG1000 is a locking double knock. When you extend the tip, the end of the clip drops into the body, holding the tip extended. To retract the tip, you press on the back of the clip, and it pulls the front of the clip out of the body, allowing the tip to retract. This also keeps you from clipping it in your pocket with the tip extended. Pentel used this mechanism on a bunch of pencils, especially the Rolly PCxxx pencils and the PW25/27, PW35/37 & the PWE25/27. Those are all of the ones with this type of mechanism that I can think of off-hand.

2 Likes

I think I have one (as part of a convolute), but obviously I didn’t feel it worthy enough to testdrive it. It’s just a too ugly alien…

edit: of course I have, at least 2 of them P1050983 | Midclass Pentels: Smash, GG1000, G1000 | 2nd_astronaut | Flickr . and of course it’s good to have them, because one is 0.4 and the other doesn’t look too bad in black-gold …

1 Like

Yeah, true dat. What’s the eBay seller’s handle? I don’t think I’ve seen them lately.

1 Like

grcon-1

2 Likes

I bought several of grcon-1’s replacements in brass, steel, and aluminum and by far my favorite is brass, both for weight and appearance.

The brass threads also meshed more smoothly with the tip than the others. Some of the others were more difficult to thread or felt very gritty. Brass is softer and just easier to work with.

(I should add that aluminum-on-aluminum is always kind of unpleasant, which is why many vintage pencils had brass or steel threads to combine the upper and lower body.)

5 Likes

Been checking on the eBay account from time to time. Nothing happening. I should send them a message and try and shake the tree a little.