I Met Another Collector In RL

This is actually big news for me personally, and I feel the need to share even though it is of little interest to anyone else. Last night, for the first time ever, I met another collector of mechanical pencils. Far away down in my corner of the world, over the last few decades of online auction and other activities, I have identified that there are four other MP collectors in the country. There’s one who collects mid-1900’s pencils, one who collects sterling silver pencils, one who collects modern-ish pencils but has a very limited budget, and one who is really a pen person but occasionally collects a few higher end and luxury pencils. So last night I met the collector of mid-1900’s pencils and we spent a couple of hours discussing our collections and looking at our favourite pencils. Great stuff! :star_struck:

16 Likes

About a year and a half ago, I drove down to Austin Texas to meet with @Knockologist and @pearsonified.

Looking forward to doing this again at some point with them and others.

11 Likes

That is the best! There’s nothing like some good face to face time with another collector. We’ve been trying to do another Texas meetup but schedules with work and young kids has been getting in the way.

8 Likes

I sometimes wonder how many MP collectors there are in my country/region. Definitely more than 4 ;-). When I began collecting, at ebay auctions without international shipping I guess only residents bade and still some auctions went pretty high.

There is or was a writing instrument collectors’ meeting at Nürnberg (organized by KaWeCo (re)founder Gutberlet), but it was of course mainly FP and I was never there.

2 Likes

Well here’s one theory. Population = 5mil, Collectors = 5.
So, population 84mil = 84 collectors. Then apply the multipliers for increased engineering, architecture and Big Bang physicist base and we come up with the statistically accurate number of 105 collectors.
I’m not sure this 105 meets the 95% confidence limit though. :rofl:

5 Likes

In surprised there are not more members from Japan. Is there a “Japanese version” of this site?

2 Likes

You know, that is precisely what I have been wondering since I got here. Also was thinking if in my time here I could befriend at least one local collector, but that was too unrealistic lol. knowing Japan so far, I am sure there are collectors groups on apps like line(main social communication application) and also physical meetups among the collector community.

2 Likes

Realising that the likelihood of meeting another collector IRL is very small has made me very grateful and appreciative of this forum.
Big shoutout to @Knockologist <3

9 Likes

:pray: thanks for saying that my dude. That’s exactly what this platform is about. I’m glad this community can offer something a bit more interactive and personal than Twitter, IG, Reddit, etc.

All of you make this place what it is!

9 Likes

I guess only few are willing to tackle the steeper language barrier for a suspected weaker knowledge base.

5 Likes

Like some of you guys, I am in TX. I wouldn’t mind doing a meet with y’all, but busy schedule.

3 Likes

Damn! I had been living in College Station TX for 2 years! I should have joined you guys

3 Likes

I have yet to properly meet another collector, but i do get my fair share of compliments on my pencils when someone notices in class, which is always nice!

Meeting up would be awesome, but I don’t think there are any of you guys in the Wisconsin/Illinois area.

5 Likes

I will likely be in Minnesota at some point in the next year or two - my US geography knowledge isn’t great, but i think that’s close to Wisconsin? Would be happy to meet!

Hey everybody. My life has been all wonky lately after hopping the pond and resettling in Taiwan with the fam. Would have joined you sooner but have been busy.

I haven’t met other collectors. I think it is fun and magical to never meet up. It is like being in a novel or something - there is fantastic character development around a topic of interest and the whole collecting process never really feels like real life. I kindof love it. I had a chance to buy a significant pencil in person, but it didn’t work out and I am somewhat relieved because the magic remains.

Still, I would be happy to meet other collectors if the right chance came along. I haven’t uncovered the Taiwan collector scene yet, but I have no doubt it is out there and hope eventually to connect.

All the people on here, Reddit, ebay, FB marketplace, etc are such great people to interact with digitally. Are you that great in person as well? Ha.

8 Likes

Well, if you’re fluent with traditional Chinese, there’s an FB group I know…

1 Like

Send it my way. Not fluent, but google translate is my friend.

1 Like

I’d like to think that the mystique of collecting such intriguing and strange items makes us all delightful and wonderful people to interact with, regardless of platform (or lack thereof).

granted, that’s just what I’d like to think, but still!

4 Likes

The only other Collector I have met was George Fox, of http://mysupplyroom.blogspot.com/, who passed away last year. He invited my wife and me to his house to see his collection, back before the pandemic.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t mind considering getting a Knockology booth at a pen show in a couple years. We could plan it far enough in advance and central enough for us to have plenty of time to plan attendance. Dallas has a pretty decent pen show annually.

8 Likes