I like mini lights. I like mini lights. I like mini lights, but only when they glow

(Anyone here remember the ridiculous “Traffic Light” sketch by Monty Python? LINK) :crazy_face:

And if you think I’m weird, there’s more…

6 Likes

Are these all yours or photos from a website?

1 Like

Yep, these are mine. I self-schooled a bit on LED flashlight tech so if you’ve got any questions just fire away. I’m not into serious thrower types and generally shy away from multi-cell flashlights (although I do have one 18650 x 2 and an AA x 4). There are some big beasts out there that have active cooling systems to help avoid the LED from overheating too quickly and can throw nearly a mile. I have about a dozen mid-range and small-range flashlights from a variety of makers.

3 Likes

I have several flashlights as well, most from 4/7

2 Likes

What happened on April 7th? :thinking:

(:crazy_face::rofl: – I know, Four Sevens!)

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. Why did Jimmy buy so many flashlights last Sunday. :thinking:

1 Like

Because I got this message…
Prometheus Lights: Happy 4/7 Day! 30% OFF Flash Sale - today only! https://klo2.io/324avA4R

2 Likes

@cytherian hey Gary – Those look great. if you were making recommendations based price , which of these models would you suggest in the low, mid and high price ranges?

I have one:

There are so many technologies out there. What are some “red flags” to look for? For example is there something that would make you immediately reject a particular model?

Thanks, Patrick.
Well, the ones on the far right by RovyVon are a little pricey, relative to similar output mini flashlights. But sometimes you can get them at a discounted price. I picked up my A5 Gen 4 for $30 last year. It’s probably my most commonly carried flashlight out of the house.
But if you want something cheaper, the one on the far left (Trustfire MINIX), I believe is about $18. It’s not as bright as the A5.

Now, there are some RovyVon Aurora clones out there. I’d bought one for $12 a couple of years ago. It was OK. Value wise pretty good. But I gave it away to someone who needed a mini light.

Note that there are other flashlights to be had. There’s so many, actually. By the way, there’s a RovyVon Aurora A3 with a solid body, no side LED’s, and its $23 right now. LINK

2 Likes

Well, I would reject any of those cheap Chinese brand flashlights on Amazon that boast 10’s of thousands of lumens. They’re usually just absolute crap. I wouldn’t buy any lithium powered flashlight with a cheap plastic body. These are also flashlights that have built-in charging. And while that’s a nice piece of tech, the cheap flashlights aren’t necessarily going to implement it well. A red flag would be one that overcharges a battery. You just don’t play around with lithium cells.

Anyway, as for recommending a flashlight, there are so many considerations:

1. Simple output or multi-function, possibly programmable
  2. Proprietary* or standardized battery
  3. Materials used for the body
  4. Type of LED and brightness
  5. Size and weight
  6. Battery size and runtime
  7. Cost!

You also want to consider flashlight categories. You can have mini keychain types, small hand held (yet a little too big for keychain), mid size but still pocketable, larger size that’s a little too much for pants pocket but OK for jacket pocket, and extra large requiring a holster or case.

• proprietary batteries are generally frowned upon with larger flashlights. They can’t be replaced. With very small lights, I think it’s OK to have proprietary and with brands that have good quality, they last a very long time… usually about as long as the use of the flashlight (damaged or obsolete).
3 Likes

Here’s a perfect example:
https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Flashlights-High-Lumens-Emergencies/dp/B0CZJZQ6P4
This one is a brand called “POHO” (never heard of it before, no presence in the flashlight enthusiast community). They brag 900,000 lumens. That’s just patently impossible for a flashlight this size at this cost. Even 9,000 lumens would be a serious stretch.

Even their description is poorly worded and shamefully boastful with no merit.

Experience the POHO flash light, with upgradeded P70.2 chip, which is more powerful brighter than others. Its ultra-wide beam effortlessly illuminates an entire backyard, offering double the lumen output of other. The farthest light distance up to 3280FT, the widest beam can easily illuminate the entire room or the darkness of the night

That typo is theirs, and so is the poor grammar. This “P70.2” chip is a Chinese knockoff of a CREE XHP 70.2. I even doubt their built-in 5000mAh battery is really that powerful. This is a red-flag listing!

As for brands to look into? The following are good budget ones: Wurkkos, Sofirn, Lumintop, Wuben. Others in mid pricing: Nitecore, Olight, Fenix, ACEBEAM, Skilhunt, Thrunite, ArmyTek.

2 Likes