Hi-Fi Style: Sakura Slide Sharp S-1000 series

L–R: Sakura Slide Sharp S-1000A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H.

Sakura and Tombow joined forces in 1971 to launch the Create Sharp: their own brand of slide pipe mechanical pencils. This was right around the time when other brands like Pentel and Pilot started doing double-knocks, so perhaps Sakura and Tombow thought Create would help them compete.

Anyway, fast forward to the late 80s, and Tombow had abandoned Create and pipe slide technology for Design, as in the debut of its Zoom series. Sakura soldiered on but renamed the technology to a simpler ‘Slide Sharp’. Thus you will see ‘Sakura Slide Sharp’ on dozens of pencils varying from nondescript 300-yen models to 2,000-yen wood and gold affairs.

What stood out for me are the above: a 1,000-yen series from around the 1990s that boasted of high-tech styling with little accents that reminded me of the most tricked out Hi-Fi minicompo boomboxes of that era. And for me it all started out with just one:

The silvery S-1000E had caught my eye on YJA and I managed to win it for around 3-4000 yen. The cool design of the ridged grip made me think of hi-fi knobs, and the contrast of bright and matte silver accents added to its sleek allure.

I was lucky that the model number was printed on the front of the silver E. And when I got the black version, S-1000F was printed on the body near the clip. So straightaway, I noted that there was a method to the madness: related designs with different colors schemes had adjacent model numbers. Cool! So what was A-D? And was there anything after F?

Next I got hold of these two, again in silver and black, and with similar ridged ‘knob’ grips:

The stand out feature is the bright orange piping on two sides of the body. Very eye catching and these were painted into etched grooves. However, many examples for sale will have some wear on the paint - you will almost never find one in pristine condition.

More frustrating issue? There was NO model number printed on them. How’s that for inconsistency? In fact it wasn’t until a couple years later that I chanced on another auction, this time for a whole box of the black version that I discovered the model number printed on the side of the box:

So the black version was S-1000B. So that must make the silver one S-1000A.

By a process of elimination, these two with what I called a ‘window’ on the nose cone are the S-1000C for the silver, and S-1000D for the black:

These have a gloss finish on the black, but matte hairline for the silver and look the most streamlined of the lot.

The tips are also different from the previous 2 designs:

How I deduced these were C and D and not otherwise is because I also obtained the following pair:

Thankfully the S-1000G and S-1000H come with markings on the front of the silver and back of the black. I have to say: these two are the hardest to find of the whole series, in any kind of condition.

One more family shot and it’s a wrap:

In conclusion, I find these to be some of the most striking and sophisticated designs I have ever collected: a case of aesthetics being a major win over what had become lacklustre technology. Now that Pentel Orenz has re-popularized slide-pipe tech, perhaps Sakura could do their own revival with its craft_lab series instead of limiting their output to only ballpoints.

10 Likes

These are amazing! Your clicks and editing are adding to the wow factor! I have said it before and I will say it again, Sakura is one of my top favourite brand. From the unique overall designs to the details on the price stickers they got it all right :+1:t4:

I am still looking for the silver with black window near the tip combination.

2 Likes

Thanks! And glad to have another Sakura fan around!

I think the ‘problem’ with Sakura is that their style is more grown-up than the rest at every era from the 80s onwards, and probably didn’t win mass appeal with younger folk. Even now, craft_lab also sports ‘mature’ styling.

2 Likes

G and H are the best of this bunch; they’re also the rarest.

I call these “aerospace tips,” and the sleek ones (C, D) are impossible to grip where the hairline ones (G, H) are more approachable.

I am amazed you were able to put together a full collection of these. IMO, this is the best mini-vignette of Sakura’s MP offerings!

2 Likes

Got my E around 2016-17… so, 8 years? Phew! I think I started noticing these right after I got my Archi Y ballpoint. In fact, I didn’t know they were part of a set until I spotted the red-dot clip on the other designs.

1 Like

I think I have never come across G and H. Wonderful posting of this series, which is somewhat underrated.

1 Like

Great post, @drifand. I’d known very little about this series and had no clue about the model number system.

The only one of the set I’d seen periodically is this:

Interesting cosmetic choice, almost like an elongated fingernail. I didn’t know about the earlier model with the fluted lines. Reminds me a little of that inexpensive TOMBOW pencil you alerted me to for the TOMBOW branded clip I could use on another pencil. Also has that fluted lines grip section… but not nearly as artful a design for the rest of the body.

3 Likes

Now that you mention it, yes ‘fingernails’ is a thing! I kinda thought ‘spaceship cockpit’ but went with windows. I also love that Chris thinks of the G and H as ‘aerospace’ like. Whoever designed the series definitely had a blast working in all these high-tech details…

2 Likes

This is where I am at. I would say I have around 5-6 more of the create sharp and rolleta models which are not in this picture. The dark silver version is not branded sakura and does not have a sliding sleeve but the rest of it nearly identical.

6 Likes

Can you show more of the unbranded dark silver ‘E’? Very curious to see what’s different apart from the fixed pipe.

2 Likes

Yes ofcourse. In the next few days I can open it up again and click a few and attach here.

2 Likes

I’m writing with one now.

How are they “impossible to grip”? Such a definitive statement…

They aren’t icicles…. You just hold them…?

I’m baffled at the moment. BAFFLED

2 Likes