Help ID-ing this Sailor

Hi guys!
Does anyone have any info about this Sailor mechanical pencil? It’s a double knock and has a clear plastic ring below the gold trim.

2 Likes

This piece is part of Sailor’s cartridge series. It’s not a true double-knock, and you’ll most commonly find 0.3mm instead of 0.5mm (though both are available).

I have like 6 of these things, and I can’t get any of them to work properly. Once I’ve taken them apart, I can’t seem to reassemble them in a way that will “seat” the cartridge. As a result, the tip dangles out when the pencil is not in use :unamused:

Beyond that, I absolutely hate how the tip is not calibrated in an aesthetic way at all. This is evident in your second picture, where the tip sticks out about 3mm too far :nauseated_face:

Some of the designs from the Sailor cartridge series are really cool, but the pencils themselves are totally unusable.

3 Likes

Excessively complex, this cartridge approach attempted to make fine leads in 0.3mm more usable by supporting the entire length of the lead and using a long needle-like impinger to drive the lead from the top half. Beware: the black plastic parts are prone to breakage after decades in storage.

2 Likes

Mine is in pretty good shape, after pearsonified comment i managed to calibrate the tip.
I like the overall design of this pencil.

2 Likes

Apropo strange tips: I unfortunately forgot to bid on this strange thing https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/q2oAAOSwfPhlcy0u/s-l1600.jpg
It’s a Rexpen Aurograf 8008 (old yugoslavian company).

Looks like a variation of the Sakura Rolleta RS500?

Seems so! Thanks for the hint…