Have you seen this? Converting a Pentel orenznero to function like a Hi Uni 5050/3051FF

https://x.com/Unbeldi_vedremo/status/1795435333330559099
https://i.imgur.com/OVYs51m.mp4

I wonder how difficult it was to do this and if it’s reversible.

3 Likes

Oh wow. Thats cool

1 Like

Yeah, it looks cool alright. Unfortunately the guy didn’t go into any detail about how he did this. From the 2nd video it sounds like the KT auto-advance engine isn’t completely defeated.

While all of this true automatic lead feed technology is impressive, I really have to wonder why it has been pursued so much recently by Pentel and Uni Ball (Mitsubishi). Is there truly a need that drove it? Or was it more or less a marketing aim? Like having a flagship model that isn’t a big profit maker, but elevates brand status.

From all I’ve come to learn and experience with mechanical pencils, my conclusion is that the best lead advancement mechanism is the body-knock. It’s by far the most affordable & available mechanism for the most minimal of effort to advance lead. You just squeeze a little and lead comes out, with the supreme advantage of not having to move your fingers at all. You do relax your fingertip grip just a slight bit so that the thumb can effortlessly contract for the squeeze action. And the importance of this is that orientation is kept so you can continue your periodic rotation to maintain a good tip without a prominent flat spot.

The “finger flick” is certainly another great mechanism. In essence, a lower energy movement than a body-knock. A light feather-like flick of your forefinger and the lead advances. And thus, orientation is also well preserved. However, that tech is pretty much in the court of Mitsubishi’s Hi Uni 5050 / 3051FF, which is absurdly expensive at this point in time.

I could see picking up a blemish plagued Pentel orenznero and trying this conversion, just for the hell of it.

1 Like

There was that guy from Taobao, the mechanism is probably the same as the one he made but here the maker decided to maintain the original nose cone appearance. If that’s the case, it’s definitely reversible, he’d just have to get the original tip back in.

Source: Post by u/LordErenYeager

I think @RPD used one of those FFmatic Orenznero (I remember him saying it wasn’t as good as the real mechanism?). Maybe he could give us some insight.

8 Likes

Thank you, Stu. I’d missed that on the Reddit sub… 2 years ago. I have to wonder if the maker still produces them. $150 is a lot for a custom job that won’t have any real tangible customer service in case of an issue. Still, it’s fascinating. I wonder if @xiaozhenyang4444 ever explored this.

1 Like

Dude, I introduced this to some members here a few years ago, and I know who made these ff-matic parts

3 Likes

It’s my account. :grinning: I am willing to talk about it, but I’m a bit tired these days, so maybe a few days later

The first video is about an interchangeable nose cone. I would give 9.5/10 for its ff-matic, 5/10 for semi-auto. And the second one is a DIY push-matic Orenznero, based on original meachnism.

11 Likes

Wow. I’m impressed – eager to hear more about it when you’ve got some free time to share. :blush:

2 Likes

Sadly I never got one in my hands, the comment about quality was just me repeating the reviews I had seen about them. At some point I’d love to buy one!