Greetings from a wooden mechanical pencil fan!

I’m new to the forums and have been lurking so far. I’ve been quite intimidated by the vintage collectors in this forum which was why I haven’t said much. I’m not terribly into vintage mechanical pencils (though I own maybe about a handful of them) but I enjoy using mechanical pencils and may have splurge here and there with the usual Graph Gears, 925-25s, S20s, Kurotogas, etc.

Anyway, as an introduction, I thought I’d share my small collection of [exotic/rare] wood mechanical pencil collection by wood-working makers in Japan. Several years ago, I got my hands on a Pilot S20 and it was instant love. For some inexplicable reason, I really enjoyed the feel of wood in my hand though I believe the barrel contours also played a big role as well. Even now, I (still) enjoy watching the wood deepen in colour as the days pass.

Naturally, it got me wondering if I could find other similar ones - that is, approximately 12-13mm grip diameter with a non-retractable lead pipe (ie. drafting pencil) - and I knew the Japanese market would be the place to look. And there they were, but with incredibly high prices. It’s a niche market but new releases sell like hot cakes. Depending on maker and reputation (Setu, Nohara, Craft A, etc), each pen or pencil usually starts around 7000 yen and can easily go up to 200-400K.

I wasn’t planning to build a collection but I’m fascinated with the different textures of wood and its smell (yes), so over the years, I kept my eyes out for the less known brands and aiming for the less exotic woods.

Here’s a picture of my current collection:

From L to R:

1) Macassar Ebony - Column (Rinkul)

Rinkul is, by far, the most innovative company I’ve seen so far. Their mechanical pencils and ballpens, other than the shaft and lead pipe, are made completely out of wood - including the knock mechanism. I had to keep the manual around just to remember how to “disassemble” in order to put more lead into it.

They have other models (Bezel, Eclipse, Fuse) where the shape and mechanism is different. They also produce cute versions of animal figures, a rocket (with a holder), G-pen wooden holders. Basically, anything that they could replace with wood, they did.

I bought it for the novelty because I was interested to see how it worked. Needless to say, it’s a little too involved for me to carry it around every day so it just sits in my drawer.

2) Marblewood (ALINA penmaker)

Uses Pentel Graph Gear 500 as its base.

3) Quince Burl (Craft A)

Craft A is one of the more established brands out there. I managed to snipe this many, many years ago by chance and never found another opportunity since. It’s nigh impossible to buy online these days as they instantly sell out and/or command high prices, or produce stock available for in-person events only.

4-9) Kobo Taishi

Kobo Taishi is a maker who sells on Creema and Minne shopping platforms. I came across him by chance and I thought he might be a hobbyist. His prices were definitely below market price (back then) so I bought one to check its build and honestly, I think it’s just fine. His prices used to be fairly reasonable but lately, they have gone up. However, he sells “stock” versions where you don’t get to see pick the pattern of the wood and you get to choose the metal furnishing color (gold, black or silver). Think of it as the less distinctive pieces that cannot justify the higher price point. The prices range from 2000 - 4500 yen which fits more into my budget so I’ve bought nearly everything that he has made available in that range. Despite being less distinctive, I don’t think the quality feels worse than any of the other more established brands out there.

- Quince Burl: Notice how different it is from the Quince from Craft A, which was twice its cost.
- Yamazakura (Wild Cherry)
- Keyaki (Japanese Elm)
- Yakusugi (Japanese Cedar)
- Honduran Rosewood
- Macassar Ebony

I’ve just ordered the Holly and Cocobolo to add to my collection. They feature a new “wave” shape that he has been experimenting with.

10-12) Hamaji Seisakusyo

Hamaji also sells on Minne as well as his own website. I can vouch that his products, despite the affordable price tag, is top notch. He also occasionally adds Macassar Ebony to add a little variation to the main wood.

- Claro Walnut with Macassar Ebony (original listing)
- Jindai Kusu with Macassar Ebony (original listing)

Jindai literally translates to “Age of Gods” and “Kusu” is Camphor wood. In the Japanese wood industry, “jindai” is given to trees that have been buried in the ground for a long time due to landslides or volcanic eruptions and have turned a darker color, such as blackish brown. The process causes the wood to change color (almost fossil-like) and the scent is more muted when compared to regular camphor wood.

- Grenadilla (original listing)

Simple but oh, oh so lovely. I thought I liked ebony but grenadilla … is just … all I can say is that when I use it, I rub my fingers on it all day long. Eep!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this little collection of wooden mechanical pencils! And I’m going back to my lurking!

13 Likes

Hey @tortau welcome to the forum.
Those are amazing looking.
I love your collection!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @tortau, and thank you for showing your amazing collection!

By the way, do you know the Takumi Macinari pencils?

5 Likes

Very cool collection! Have you checked out Turn Of The Century wooden p205 bodies? The person who produces these pencils, William Schmidt, is retiring, so this is his last batch of pencils. He has a decent selection of woods so it might be something you’re interested in.

5 Likes

Welcome to Knockology! The Rinkul has been sitting in my shopping cart for-e-v-e-r… I admire their approach of designing an original mechanism but wasn’t quite sure if it would be nice to use on a regular basis.

Craft-A… I regret not buying one when it was around 5000 yen. I was still feeling my way around the price points and wasn’t ready to make that leap. Now… it’s pretty crazy.

When I see Nohara posted on X, I really don’t get the appeal… the wood is nice but the furniture like the button, clip and cone seemed unremarkable. And recently I saw a quince wood example shattered because the owner tried to fiddle with the clip. It’s the one fear I have for my wood bodied pens and pencils!

4 Likes

Hey hey @tortau! Welcome to the forum, and thank you so much for taking the leap to join us and share your collection! I absolutely love seeing the variety and uniqueness each person brings to the table, and your collection is no exception. It’s a fantastic addition to our community, and we’re thrilled to have you with us.

I want to take this moment to speak to all of our readers who, like our newest member, might be feeling a bit intimidated by the conversations around vintage items or the extensive collections some of our members have. Please know that this forum is a space for everyone, no matter the size of your collection or the focus of your interest. Whether you’re into mechanical pencils, pens, rulers, or any other stationery item, your contributions and enthusiasm are what make this community vibrant and diverse.

We understand that stepping into a conversation, especially when it seems dominated by talk of ‘vintage grails’ or highly specialized knowledge, can feel daunting. But remember, every collector started somewhere, and every piece in your collection tells a story. We’re not just a forum for the rarest finds; we’re a community that celebrates the passion behind the collection, the stories of discovery, and the sheer joy of collecting.

So, whether you’re holding on to that one mechanical pencil from your school days, geeking out over the latest pen release, or finding delight in a well-crafted set of scissors, your voice and your story are welcome here. Let’s share, learn from each other, and celebrate our collective passion for collecting. Pencils, pens, rulers, magnifying glasses—whatever your fancy, let’s dive into it together.

Don’t let the fear of not being ‘expert’ enough hold you back. Every post, question, or piece of advice adds value and perspective that enriches our community. We’re excited to hear from you, learn about your collections, and share in your collecting journey.

Welcome aboard @tortau and a warm invitation to all our readers: jump into the conversation. Let’s make this community as diverse and inclusive as the collections we cherish.

Knock on!

8 Likes

Here are a couple of posts I wrote about custom pencils I collected, both wood, resin and metal.

8 Likes

Super dorky but love it! :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve not heard of Takumi Macinari but they were created by the same person that runs Rinkul! When they mentioned the 8g in the listing, I’m reminded why I didn’t particularly enjoyed using the Column pencil - it was too light. I bought the ebony version which is heavier than the regular versions but yeah, not enough, not enough!

1 Like

I have not and thank you so much for sharing this link! The P205 is one of my favourite forms (but a little too light for my taste) so I’m very tempted to just buy one of every available wood he has available :flushed: Looks like I’ll be spending a lot of money on mechanical pencils this month…

Personally, I think why mechanical pencils have always appealed to me since childhood is because I always feel smug when I can “disassemble” it and put it back together (I was a child, okay?). To me, Rinkul’s creations would be the ultimate puzzle to fiddle with.

But practically speaking, because it is mostly wood, depending on the wood variety it can be very lightweight (and if you’re rough with them, could possibly break in two) and not suitable for all purposes. The model I chose (Column) has a tiny dowel that is almost pin size that you need to remove in order to remove the parts to load in lead. To me, this is a usability issue as I may not have the leisure to fiddle with that when I’m on a go.

In short, very very interesting build but can be a hassle in a crutch situation. I can load the lead from the front once or twice but a whole bunch … nah!

Agreed. I bought mine for 7500 yen and it was the first hand-made wooden mechanical pencil for me so it was, for several years, the only one I owned. To be honest, I never meant to buy more because like you mentioned, the price points are a little high. These days, there are many many new makers (and very young ones) who have gained popularity on social media making familiar bodies particularly from Pentel’s lineup. I’m worried about their lack of experience (primarily durability, finishing) but their prices are comparable to what Setu and Nohara charges these days and they still sell out!

Agreed! I’m actually quite glad that I prefer stationary 4mm lead pipes. This eliminates a lot of companies because the price points of these wood bodied pencils lead to the image of “luxury stationery” which means they usually come with retractable pipes.

Also, I don’t think you’ll be to find much variation in terms of the furniture in the market - most of the makers purchase from the same few factories. I think only the big makers have the budget to get custom ones made.

Yikes! I haven’t tried to remove the clips on my collection so far. I know some makers suggest doing an annual maintenance like re-waxing the surface (for those that with a wax surface) and/or re-oiling the wood which requires one to remove the clip for get access to the whole surface. But I’m always worried about scratching it when I put it back. In short, I haven’t actually made any proper maintenance to date :worried:

3 Likes

Love your collection! And I’m glad you linked all those creators because I never knew about them - I think I just set my mind of Japanese makers because I had a particular body form that I wanted and never considered that there were makers in other parts of the world who would produce them too!

Looks like I’ll be doing lots of research tonight…

@tortau Thank you making me aware of ALINA! I have ordered two pencils :smiley:

3 Likes

Great collection! And welcome to the forum.
I guess that nohara kougei makes no sense for you due to the price point, right? I always wanted one due to the relevance in the Japanese market, but there’s so many clones nowadays + prices are sky high + it’s impossible to buy at retail, even when I was living in Japan and had stock tracking software on their site…

On another note, you should definitely check out Marvelous Wood pencils

It’s still one of my favourites.

3 Likes

I did. MV has some really awesome and familiar bodies but their prices are also a little high for me - at least for the ones that caught my eye. I think with the wood bodied mechanical pencils, I’m trying to aim for quantity (in terms of variety) over quality/brand. That is, if the overall barrel form is suitable to my tastes.

I know it isn’t a great thing to admit but yeah, if for the price of one, I get two different types of wood to explore, I’d prefer that. Because at the end of the day, the eye candy factor matters (eek!) when you can’t physically use them all in a lifetime (I’m trying!).

Having said that, I recently picked up a Gold Walnut version of their recently released Buddy series which is their effort at an introductory line with a low price point. It is a submarine style barrel so I hesitated a little but I think it’ll also give me a good feel of their workmanship if and when I’m ready to pull the trigger on a higher priced body.

3 Likes

The buddy looks very nice tbh. It’s a recent release so I couldn’t try it. The workmanship on the regular models is very high, they offer both varnished and untreated (for patina development) finishes and the metal parts are custom made as far as we know. The metal parts on the buddy also look custom made though! At least they’re not the same as the other nohara copies I’ve seen. The Mv on the clip looks great.

Let us know what you think of the buddy once you get it!

1 Like

The Buddy in Walnut arrived yesterday. I must say that it definitely exudes luxury in terms of finish.

Packaging and the pencil.

Cone tip

Clip

Wood grain

Movable parts

Overall, the wood has a matted finish but very, very smooth. I love the cone tip and the body just smoothly connects to it - no ridges at all! I totally love how it feels grip-wise as I have different grips depending on the type of writing I’m doing and the smooth surface from close to the tip to right up the body is just perfect!

Workmanship is top notch in my opinion. Body has to be brass as it is quite heavy. All the removable metal parts have a good weight to them as well.

Unfortunately, while I was aware of its weight, the mechanical pencil is way too heavy for my liking :worried: It definitely gives me confidence to purchase any mechanical pencil from their brand, but yeah, weight-wise definitely not my cup of tea.

I’ll probably have to sell this away if I can find a buyer as I don’t think I’ll ever use it again other than to go ooh- ahh- over it.

4 Likes

Yeah my other marvelous wood pencil is one of the heaviest in my collection. Whatever brass insert they use gives it a lot of weight.

Are you somewhere in the EU? If so I’ll gladly take that pencil out of your hands :wink:

2 Likes

Urk, so you’re saying even those Graph 1000 for Pro bodies are heavy?

Unfortunately, I’m located in Canada so yeah, way too far away :worried:

1 Like