Golden Ratio Typography on Product Hunt

One of my products, Golden Ratio Typography (GRT) for Email, is featured on Product Hunt today.

Would you mind checking it out and, if you feel inclined, giving it an upvote OR leaving a comment? Thank you!

Also, if y’all have any questions about the product, let me know!

7 Likes

Done. And very interesting. I use the golden ratio a bit in my woodworking hobby, but never thought to apply it to text. Kudos sir.

3 Likes

Thank you! One of these days, @Knockologist will trust me to apply GRT styles to the text on Knockology :joy:

I run two of my own Discourse forums, and IMO, both offer more pleasant reading environments than the Discourse defaults:

IBM Plex Sans at size 18px:

Gotham (commercial font) at size 16px:

Given the width of the Discourse content column on larger screens, I’d recommend something like IBM Plex Sans (or Serif, depending on the vibe we prefer) at 18px or 19px for Knockology.

3 Likes

I trust you. But you’re going to make me pay. :joy:

2 Likes

No way! I offered this the day you opened these forums :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh. My apologies. Maybe I misunderstood you.

So from what I’m gathering, your system will generate a style sheet that can be applied to this instance of the forum that will identify font sizes, line heights, etc. that is best for usability/readability?

Gimme the css and I’ll apply it, my dude.

1 Like

If my system supported Discourse, it would do precisely that! But for now, I’ll just have to rip the styles off one of my forums and copypasta to get the results here.

The CSS I have is going to require some tweaking (Discourse changes things frequently, and I’d also like to address more details), so I’d need level 4 access to do it. I also have to install a Discourse Plugin to load Google Fonts if desired.

A future update to the GRT Calculator may well include Discourse-specific styles. I think my next 10 years online are going to be highlighted more by forums than by basic websites, and having a product along those lines makes sense from an alignment standpoint.

2 Likes

I’m not sure granting you level 4 will get you access to the css. I’ll double check tonight though.

Also, I’ll need to update the YAML file to add the plugin.

I’ve not had to do this on my other installs…

1 Like

Are you self hosted?

1 Like

Yeah, on a DigitalOcean droplet. Pretty sure I was able to do everything I needed to do through the admin panel before.

1 Like

Hmmm. That’s interesting.

I’m using docker and have to update the yaml to install new plugins.

1 Like

Independent installs use Docker, too, but only on some updates. In other words, the only time I interface directly with Docker is when updating it, and that only happens in like 35% of updates.

To this point, I’ve been under the impression that Docker was a side-loading tool to help with installs, but then again, my knowledge of the JS-framework environment is limited because I can’t fucking stand it :hugs: