Finally, my Studio La Nave collection is complete

It’s been so long since I purchased the USUS ‘pi’ lever pen, and the ‘i’ magnetic pen. Dead official links spell bad news… I have a feeling the lack of promotion, publicity etc did them no favors.

2 Likes

Please pardon my ignorance since I’m new here but the Schmidt DSM2006 is a push mechanism to propel the lead. My Tombow Mano is a twist mechanical pencil mechanism (as is the ballpoint; a twist to the right extends the ink and a twist to the left retracts it). The small cap twists; you cannot push it.

So I don’t see how the Schmidt would work in the Tombow Mano.

But what do I know?

cheers,
elliot

2 Likes

Elliot

You’re right that the Schmidt is a push mechanism. It is certainly not obvious how that would be compatible with the Mano’s twist button. There is a little adapter inside the Mano that pushes down on the refill when you twist the button. When the refill is replaced by a Schmidt style mechanism, this action knocks the top of the mechanism and feeds the lead out. This is actually quite common - some MontBlanc pencils have a similar mechanism as well.

Since I’m traveling, I can’t take photos to show you, but here’s one I found online that shows the Tombow mechanism.

4 Likes

Thanks @popossum!

As I said, what do I know?

I’m kinda surprised the Tombow USA VP didn’t suggest that in the first place since the Schmidt is plentiful, available and reasonable. But that’s good knowing that I would have a back up plan in case mine goes south.

cheers,
elliot

3 Likes