Dive is back in stock (at $99 USD now)

wow - bit of a markup from the original $40 release.
Uni Website

4 Likes

I bet it doesn’t sell out in a couple hours this time. That is a ridiculous mark-up.

5 Likes

What the heck? Umm no.

4 Likes

Glad I picked one up on the first US drop.

4 Likes

Is this the most expensive MSRP (non-luxury) ever?? Even Micromatic 777 75 was 65 USD at launch (accounting for inflation).

4 Likes

This has to be a mistake. Right?

I’m not into what the Dive provides but I was going to pick one up anyway when they got back in stock just because I’m a mp enthusiast. I bought the Supreme 600 after all. :joy:

But I’m not dropping a Benji on it.

3 Likes

From a guy in the sub’s discord.

4 Likes

This is pretty stupid! This is going to make MORE people buy from resellers who price it below $100. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

This is not the way

3 Likes

When the news came out I already saw a few eBay auctions closing in on 90 USD… The lads at penswap that got it for $40 USD will have a great night…

One can hope the backlash makes them come back to their senses, or, even better… Pentel and Pilot come out with something new and put Uni back in their place.

3 Likes

Imagine if Pentel did something like that.

3 Likes

Decades of consumer trust gone, in an instant! With how the community is reacting, I bet that we get a company statement by tomorrow…

Edit: there’s still the 15% discount coupon, which means it’s a “mere” $84.15… Increase of 210%

3 Likes

This is nasty price gouging in our faces. It’s a 2.46x markup. Screw Uni.

4 Likes

I’m so mad, I sent them a message… and included an image to emphasize my point.

5 Likes

I pretty much did the same thing. Also linked to the subreddit and this discussion

4 Likes

Good to hear I’m not the only one who wrote to them.

I let them know about my enthusiasm over the Dive, and while I missed the limited edition sold overseas, I anxiously awaited it to become available to the USA in a standard production model. It arrived, and I also thought the $40 USD pricing was reasonable. But I was so frustrated that Uni had a rather small production run and was out before I could buy it… only to find that once it returned, the price jumped so dramatically. $99 USD after $40 USD in a matter of several months is basically customer gouging. If they don’t revise the price, I will look to Pentel and Pilot for all of my writing needs.

4 Likes

not wrong. now uni is the reseller :smiley:

atm a dive stand is for sale at yaj. i still wonder if the seller just grabbed the empty stand in a store and smuggled it out of the shop :-o . or it’s from a shop owner who lost hope that uni will ever produce new supply.

5 Likes

I also saw the empty dive stand at Yahoo auctions lol. It’s way too big to have in a shop when really every dive is sold by reservation nowadays
I placed two reservations in two shops, quite far from where I live but they were the only ones taking them. Hopefully in a few months I can have the colours I’m missing.
Selling over MSRP at the official website is nuts. Particularly when in the last drop they let people buy one of each color. It’s a hard product to sell fairly online since it instantly resells for 10000 jpy but I think they could have come up with a better solution…

5 Likes

When orenznero and S30 came out the same thing happened. Pentel and Pilot just increase production to force scalpers to stop…… But Uni seems to believe this is a better approach, funniest part is how this is for NA/international market only, the Japanese MSRP is still 5500 Yen

4 Likes

I’m not sure to which degree they can increase production. The more I research about it, the more I feel it is a miracle that they were selling it for 5500 yen.
Maybe a better approach would be, instead of selling through the website, selling through reservations via US stationery stores? That way the store can more or less screen the client to see if they are just planning to resell or actually want the thing for themselves (like it is done in Japan now).

5 Likes